What did you do in the garden today?

I have the legitimate itch to garden, but winter just set in for real (got about 9" of snow in the past 24 hours)
We got about 6-8 inches. Yay for hubby to be able to ski.

It has been so un-sunny, my garden itch is fairly subdued. The itch gets REALLY bad when we have a series of nice days in February. Still a long time till anything can get done in the garden, but the days are getting longer, sometimes warmer, and the ground is frozen. I can't even turn the compost then.

I gotta admit though... if the ground is not frozen then, I start worrying about stuff sprouting too early and getting frozen. :gig

I shoveled more pathways in the snow for the chickens. The temps got up in the high 40’s and expected to again tomorrow. All the hens and my rooster got out to nibble at grass. I’m hoping the forecast for this weekend changes. Two seriously cold mornings below zero without the windchill but fortunately only one day time temp with a high of 15 F. I ordered the bug netting, hoop frames and starter trays with tall plastic covers. They also have vents in them to moderate the humidity.

I have an Italian oregano plant growing in a container that's going on its second year. I cut off all the excess growth around the side of the 3 gallon pot and it looks healthy. I have never ate the fresh small leaves on a sliced tomato salad before today. I am having another wow moment. I think God created this herb to be eaten with tomato, olive oil, mozzarella cheese, salt and pepper.

We had misadventures by the garden today. Hubby was doing some torch work, thought an old hydraulic line was drained. It was not. Got a face full of fireball, singed off some of his beard, mustache, and the hair in front on top of his head. Second degree burn on his forehead, but we have everything on hand to take care of such injuries. Smart man, did not inhale. Could have been much much worse.

He even got to keep his eyebrows.

We had misadventures by the garden today. Hubby was doing some torch work, thought an old hydraulic line was drained. It was not. Got a face full of fireball, singed off some of his beard, mustache, and the hair in front on top of his head. Second degree burn on his forehead, but we have everything on hand to take care of such injuries. Smart man, did not inhale. Could have been much much worse.

Yikes!! Glad he’s not seriously hurt!

Good morning all. I just heard from my daughter about that uproar over feed issues and chickens not laying. It’s gotten to the point that people are saying the feed company is in cahoots with the egg producers to thwart our backyard flocks so we have to buy their eggs :lau

People are so gullible.

I have tires stacked two in the garden that has been the garden for like 5 years.
I am so thankful no bending have vertigo now too.
63 this year but only in years not attitude. Just beat a really nasty cold.
Glad you kicked the cold butt Penny, there’s some nasty stuff going around.

Oh my goodness, I’m so glad he wasn’t seriously injured!

Back
Top Bottom