What did you do in the garden today?

Good morning all. I just heard from my daughter about that uproar over feed issues and chickens not laying. It’s gotten to the point that people are saying the feed company is in cahoots with the egg producers to thwart our backyard flocks so we have to buy their eggs :lau

People are so gullible.
A city friend forwarded a video of someone with these issues. That video was convincingly concerning …. To people that have no clue about poultry. I give my friend credit though- they texted me asking about it bc they just didn’t know.

But, even on BYC there are many threads. Many are fairly new to chicken keeping, so this might be first slowdown due to molt the second winter…and it generally seems like they switch feed as light is increasing, so seems like feed was issue.

Last year, we had a major decrease in egg production. We had to buy eggs for months.. it was annoying. This year, the main ones laying are the high production birds we bought this past spring - so we would have had the same problem if not for the high production layers.

A city friend forwarded a video of someone with these issues. That video was convincingly concerning …. To people that have no clue about poultry. I give my friend credit though- they texted me asking about it bc they just didn’t know.

But, even on BYC there are many threads. Many are fairly new to chicken keeping, so this might be first slowdown due to molt the second winter…and it generally seems like they switch feed as light is increasing, so seems like feed was issue.

Last year, we had a major decrease in egg production. We had to buy eggs for months.. it was annoying. This year, the main ones laying are the high production birds we bought this past spring - so we would have had the same problem if not for the high production layers.
I suspect it’s that people bought production birds and aren’t aware that they typically slow down considerably after a year or two. With people switching feed as the light grows longer that’s simply reinforcing my thought on it. I can’t imagine a company like Purina risking their reputation. A LOT of people buy their feed. And they produce a lot of varieties for lots of different animals.

I agree. That’s why I stay off of them. I get annoyed at the posts where people consistently use laying feed blends even when their chickens are not laying eggs because of molting and / or low daylight during the winter. Since they don’t see the damage to their kidneys they don’t think it makes a difference, but it does. Then when their hens stop laying or just drop dead they blame it on some conspiracy by big manufacturers or corruption in the government. It’s never been anything they could have done. Sorry, there are a lot of things that can affect chickens and their laying. Mine will stop laying for a day or two after a really bad storm or if there’s been a pack of coyotes screaming through the night before. Then there’s bobcat mating season. That has always been a bit unsettling. OK, finished with my rant. With all the melting a large somewhat flat area is emerging in my former forest. I’ll have to pay attention to how much sunlight that spot gets.

We had misadventures by the garden today. Hubby was doing some torch work, thought an old hydraulic line was drained. It was not. Got a face full of fireball, singed off some of his beard, mustache, and the hair in front on top of his head. Second degree burn on his forehead, but we have everything on hand to take care of such injuries. Smart man, did not inhale. Could have been much much worse.

He even got to keep his eyebrows.
Oh wow, holy cow, I am so glad he is kind of ok,, praying those burns heal up properly

Back
Top Bottom