What did you do in the garden today?

Once again, I am reminded now lucky I am to have my health, including healthy teeth.

Thanks, mom, for making me brush my teeth and taking me to the dentist regularly when I was a kid.

Thanks, dad, for the insurance that paid for my braces.

Thanks, both of you for the genes for healthy teeth. Not everyone in the family grabbed that brass ring.

Once again, I am reminded now lucky I am to have my health, including healthy teeth.

Thanks, mom, for making me brush my teeth and taking me to the dentist regularly when I was a kid.

Thanks, dad, for the insurance that paid for my braces.

Thanks, both of you for the genes for healthy teeth. Not everyone in the family grabbed that brass ring.
You are lucky!
My parents were divorced when I was 8 and I lived with my neglectful mother as a child. I did not have that luxury.
Luckily my son has me and I would never be like my evil mother.
😬

I'm a little jealous @Acre4Me. Laundry and breadmaking today. I'm hoping to get my leeks started today now that the weather drama is over for now. I'm tempted to start with onion seed this year however I would need to buy more starter trays.
I wish I could start gardening right now!
I’m in New England and it’s way too cold!

Good information... Especially about blanching before freezing. Thanks for sharing.

I'm thinking I'll do 4 cauliflower plants total - 2 white and 2 purple. Maybe do one of each in the ground and one of each in a 5 gallon bucket.

Now I just have to go pick up more buckets.... 😂 Thankfully the ladies at the deli always seem to have some for free! ❤️
Deli? What kind of deli? I’d love some free buckets.
How did you go about asking for one?
Or more.

Deli? What kind of deli? I’d love some free buckets.
How did you go about asking for one?
Or more.
I got my buckets from a donut/ice cream shop. They get the donut fillings in the buckets, so the buckets and lids are food grade.

How did go about asking? Well, I already knew from my neighbor that this place sold the buckets for $1.50 each. I bought some ice cream and just asked. I'd never been in that store before, so they didn't know who I was.

I thought $1.50 each for a 5 gallon bucket was pretty reasonable, and I like to support mom-and-pop businesses.

Good morning gardeners. I finally got my leek seeds planted. I planted 36 cells in these new starter trays I bought on Amazon. They have high domes with adjustable ventilation. I think they're perfect. Three of these take up all the space on one of the heat mats. I don't have enough room to plant as many onion seeds as I want, however I may try a few to see how they grow. There's not much else I can do for now. It's still February and the ground is hard as rock. I'm really hoping the tree cutters can get some weather good enough to finish clearing the debris so I can get out there at least by early March to start working on fencing the perimeter of the property and outlining the new garden beds. A side note on the new starter trays: they are all plastic, however the starter cells themselves are a bit sturdier than the usual plastic used in other brands. These seem to be sturdy enough to wash and reuse. Have a great day everyone.
leeks 7 Feb 23.jpg

Regarding pickled eggs: I'm not a fan. My mother used to pickle them in leftover pickled beet juice. They were so pretty so I ate one. Yuck. I haven't tried one since I was a child so maybe I could give them another chance. LOL!
It really depends on the type/flavor. Beet eggs are not my fav.

I made balsamic ones - the egg was black on the outside, but white/yellow on inside. They were tasty, but spouse didn’t care for them.

Curry ones -yuck said both my husband and I. But, curries vary so maybe another curry blend would taste better.

Cajun ones - yummy, yumm, yumm!

White wine with shallots - also very yummy and sophisticated.

Plain, very plain white vinegar with basic pickling spice mixture - also quite good, we liked these as an all around basic good pickled egg with easy to find/inexpensive ingredients.

Sweet Beet pickled eggs: yuck. Too sweet, but I don’t like the sweet bread and butter pickles either, so this was no surprise.

So, lots of options!!

Back
Top Bottom