What did you do in the garden today?

Not very exciting like y’all with your starts, but it all I got…I walked thru the garden yesterday, it was so nice out. Took some pics…
Garlic is getting big:
View attachment 3446847

One random flower that pops up every year in the middle of the yard 😂
View attachment 3446849

My strawberries, I didn’t cover them or get to pull the soaker hose. Looks like they’ll be just fine anyway. Wish I could clean up the bed a little but no can do.
View attachment 3446850
Still exciting Sueby!

Good evening gardeners. I got all the starts into buckets except the two jalapeños. I’ll get those in tomorrow after work. It’s warm out, but there’s a nice breeze; the water temp in the buckets is a full ten degrees cooler than the ambient temperature so I’m happy with that. The night blooming jessamine, rosemary, lavender and jasmine all have new growth and the lavender is starting to bloom. I have a couple of shrubs I need finish digging out next weekend and it’s time for some major coop maintenance. I really should paint the exterior, but I’m holding out for a coop redesign :fl Time to make some dinner :frow

Got out and got dirty this evening. What stayed as DD and I planted flower bulbs turned into DD, DS and I planting bulbs, and ended in DW and I planting bulbs. We planted ~130 bulbs. I need to get some mulch now. We had bark chips there and opted to remove them and use them in another bed with our fruit trees and rhubarb because some of these flowers will struggle go push through bark chips. There's still another bed to clear and plant too - that will be about 80 bulbs. In the end we will finally have flowers growing in the 2ft wide bed all along the front of our garden fence. Theres a few ornamental grass plants and bleeding hearts already in those beds too. I'm exciting for all the color!
me too show us pictures when they bloom!!

Question, can you tell me the difference between regular Bok-Choy, Toy Bok-Choy, and Baby Bok-Choy?

:idunno I just dropped some bills on a small pack of Baby Bok-Choy seeds for Dear Wife, but she said the picture was wrong!? She insists that the Baby Bok-Choy has a green base, not white. I have been reading lots of stuff online, but it seems to me that it's all the same Bok-Choy - just picked at different times.

:caf Also, for anyone on the thread, now that I'm getting more into gardening, I am getting frustrated with things like Bok-Choy which are also called by many other names (Pak-Choy, Chinese Cabbage, etc...) Whatever happened to using Latin scientific names on the seed packs to differentiate between types of the plant? At least with different types of tomatoes, you can see a difference in the pictures (round, roma, cherry, grape, etc...). All the pictures on the Bok-Choy seed packs look the same to me.
Ok so I am no Bok Choy expert at all. In fact Idt I had ever had it until Baker Creek sent me some last year as my free seed. Planted it, turns out we like it. lol So what I planted this year was the seeds I saved from last year.

This is what I planted: https://www.rareseeds.com/bok-choy-hedou-tiny
It does not grow big at all. I can take pics of what I have in the fridge. lol It was starting to flower already. Mine from last year did get bigger in the garden bed; but it wasn't as cramped a space as the pot I used.

Do you think tomato seedlings can survive night time temperatures in the low 40s? They would be housed in a little plastic greenhouse which will likely retain some heat from the sunlight during the day.

Screenshot_20230328_210223.jpg

Thoughts?

Do you think tomato seedlings can survive night time temperatures in the low 40s? They would be housed in a little plastic greenhouse which will likely retain some heat from the sunlight during the day.

Thoughts?
In my experience, tomato seedlings are pretty hardy. The only time I've ever lost them outdoors was when it got under 30ish degrees, and they withered and died immediately. Anything over 32 they seemed to just solider on without any problems. Low 40s, I would guess, wouldn't be a problem.

...of course this might depend on variety, and how old the seedlings are.

Back
Top Bottom