What did you do in the garden today?

We also planted many tomato plants yesterday. Around 33 plants. If you want jugs - maybe start to collect these type:
View attachment 3522951
This is something we buy at Walmart. But I’m sure other things are in this style container. It holds closer to 2 gallons it seems - I can fill up a 5 gallon chicken waterer (nearly empty) to close to top with 2 of these. Bottom flat, plastic a bit heavier than milk jugs, but bonus is the wide opening. Label is a plastic tube so easy to remove and have a plain white jug.
For those who don't have a cat, try contacting your local animal shelters and rescues. They probably have lots of these jugs. The larger square containers make handy totes and nesting boxes. I have one by my outside faucet to use for spot watering.
Screenshot_20230601-073225-061.png

(not my boxes)

For those who don't have a cat, try contacting your local animal shelters and rescues. They probably have lots of these jugs. The larger square containers make handy totes and nesting boxes. I have one by my outside faucet to use for spot watering.
View attachment 3525265
(not my boxes)
We have a few of these around to use as best boxes if needed. But haven’t needed them so far this year.

I'm thinking of putting a pin hole in the bottom of milk jugs half buried in the ground ( to minimize evaporation loss and so they don't blow away when they are empty).
I did that to water my baby fruit trees, and it worked OK as a method of getting water to them over time, but what a pain they were to fill! So this year I'm modifying it a bit - the 2-year-old jugs got brittle so I recycled them, and I collected all new jugs (bigger ones, like cat-litter containers) and I'm going to drill the pinholes in the lids instead of the bottoms, and half-bury them upside-down. This way, I can fill several at a time from the barrel and carry them to the plants by their handles, instead of filling them and having to quickly turn them upside-down and carefully carry them to the plants, splashing myself and wasting water in the process.

All caught up!

On Tuesday I thinned my carrots, NEVER have had such beautiful specimens! I am giving credit to the raised bed and compost. I sliced and cooked them, the taste is exquisite.
IMG_20230530_172312436~2.jpg

I gave the greens to the chicks, they were very excited.
IMG_20230530_172535571~2.jpg

The next day all that was left of the carrot tops were stems, the leaves were GONE.

I also thinned out tomato foliage, so now there will be better air flow and I can find the tomatoes.
IMG_20230530_175341136~2.jpg

IMG_20230530_175355029~2.jpg

That's borage in the front.

I wasn't sure if tomato leaves were good for the chickens, so I just added them to the compost pile.
IMG_20230530_174651827.jpg

Here come the beans!
IMG_20230530_182545170~2.jpg

I'm in zone 8b southeast Georgia, 2 hours from Jacksonville, so very similar heat and humidity issues here.
I was so frustrated with my tomato situation that I planted 80 different varieties last year to find a selection of larger tomatoes that would do better in our climate. 😆
I'm ok with some cherry tomatoes but my favorites are definitely the big slicer tomatoes.

I only planted Southern Belle tomatoes this year because I didn't realize it was a lost variety when it made it to the top of my heat tolerant list last year. I plan on sharing seeds that we save this year with as many people as would like to try them and hopefully continue to save and share them.

Yes please! I’m looking for a good slicer for BLTs and heat tolerant as well.

Good morning gardeners. I got a bucket done for more lettuce and tossed the strawberries. I may go look for more plants over the weekend, we shall see. I started on the mess in the shade garden but got sweaty so came in to cool off a little bit. It’s not particularly stifling, but warm enough. Heard on the news the other day that we’re in for a hot, dry summer rather than the La Niña conditions we were hoping for. So other than maintaining what I’ve got and some hydroponic greens I’m not gardening at this point. @karenerwin I imagine it’s probably good that your son may not be aware of his condition. You’re both in my thoughts a lot :hugs Time to get busy.

Back
Top Bottom