What did you do in the garden today?

tomato leaves are toxic for the chickens. although if they eat small quantity it will not kill them.
I just knew I had some dead hens coming. They stripped some small plant of all their leaves but somehow they must have shared so none of them got to many. None showed any sign of illness. Whew.

W

What are poke greens?
The leaves from poke weeds that grow wild. The have very toxic berries I was taught as a young kid. The leaves are supposed to be toxic raw also I was taught. I've never eaten any but in my school days neighbors did. The maintained a few plants that got over head high for their cheap greens.

Since my last outside "barn" cat died other ferals have started hunting in my yard. Some have been stalking birds by hiding in the perennials growing around the bird feeders. I've found piles of feathers underneath.

So, today I mowed around the feeder pole and made a barrier of sorts. The cats will have to jump over or go around the fencing, which will slow them down and give ground-feeding birds a better chance of escaping:
IMG_20230602_175318494.jpg

I am quite a few pages behind. No chance to catch up. Trying to get my mom's affairs handled. Funeral is tomorrow. We've been driving back and forth every day. It's a 2 hr drive one way. Leaving early morning and getting back after midnight. I am exhausted.

Thank God for the irrigation system or my garden would be dead. We've had no rain in 2-3 weeks. I need to weed really badly and do basic maintenance. Need shade cover over the tomatoes and no time to do it. Squash bugs are raiding my squash. No time to deal with it. Berries need picked. No time to deal with it. Anyway, you get the idea.

I haven't cleaned my coops in over a month. Hoping my chickens and ducks don't get sick from dirty coops. When this is all over, I will need to worm everyone really good and check them for mites as a precaution.
I'm sad to hear about your mom passing. I would be an absolute disaster if my mama was gone. If we lived close to each other I would be over at your house doing everything you need done. Again so sad about your mom.

I got my everglade cherry tomato seeds in the mail today and planted 2 seeds in six cells, and 2 Italian Heirloom Tomato seeds in each of the other six cells. I plan on grafting it onto the everglade cherry for TYLCV resistance. I will grow them under a summer shade cloth, so the flowers don't fall off.

Back
Top Bottom