What did you do in the garden today?

I just knew I had some dead hens coming. They stripped some small plant of all their leaves but somehow they must have shared so none of them got to many. None showed any sign of illness. Whew.
My hens aren't allowed in the garden as they would shred the tomato plants to the ground- some just ripping leaves off in search of 'the good one'. Never had any die from it. They've even had their own patch of wild tomatoes to get into before, they hunt and pick and peck, but they taste awful and prefer NOT to eat them.

Sewing day here. Allergies are starting to win, even with all the shots. 90s and hazy with humidity.
Walked the garden last night before a downpour (which didn't amount to much, but was nice) and spent the evening sneezing, coughing and trying to remember to breathe. The last one is a trigger for for panic attacks, and yep, right on cue at midnight. ARGH.
A couple tomatoes needed woven into the fence and I saw blooms, so I'll try to get out there and spray and feed them tonight or probably tomorrow.

Sewing day here. Allergies are starting to win, even with all the shots. 90s and hazy with humidity.
Walked the garden last night before a downpour (which didn't amount to much, but was nice) and spent the evening sneezing, coughing and trying to remember to breathe. The last one is a trigger for for panic attacks, and yep, right on cue at midnight. ARGH.
A couple tomatoes needed woven into the fence and I saw blooms, so I'll try to get out there and spray and feed them tonight or probably tomorrow.
Does the rain help your symptoms at all?

Here's the proof. These seeds have been in the pickle jar for a little over 50 years. It's strange the things we hold as precious, but these little shiny blue-black seeds rank high, because I remember cleaning them with Grandpa when I was a little kid.

I doubt if any of them are viable now, but I think I'll put a few between wet paper towels in a ziplock bag and see what happens.

Anyway, here's to memories! 🍻

And no, we never had any luck with the seeds sprouting and growing back in the 70's. Maybe they need to go through a bird's gut in order to sprout.

View attachment 3527078View attachment 3527079View attachment 3527081View attachment 3527082
Many plants have a tough seed coat to withstand a digestive track. Try nicking the seed coat so moisture can get it. They may be old but might surprise you. Weed seeds can stay viable for a long time.

Hoed out most of the garden. Spread dried grass clippings over the corn seeds, which I apparently didn't cover up last night. Scalped my mint patch and have it drying out some on the driveway, along with chamomile and fleabane. It's supposed to storm today, so I need to get back out there and harvest the strawberries, and then figure out just what is going on in that patch. And how to dig out a rose of Sharon bush with a broken shovel. 😅

Back
Top Bottom