What did you do in the garden today?

Yup. I test water weekly with multi parameter strips but test my minerals monthly with the liquid tests. About every 6 months I do a 30-40% change on the 75G due to the GH beginning to build up. I clean my canister filters on both of my big tanks pretty regularly so I can feed the mulm water to the garden.

I could see coral sand causing milky water. I'm not sure how coarse it is, but giving it a thorough rinse before use would solve that. I would be hesitant to use a fine crushed coral that couldn't be put in the mesh bag to easily remove when needed. The stuff I use is worth the cost for my purpose. I hardly ever have to replace it and it rinses easily. My substrate is pretty much neutral at this point. Though my 40G has a bag of peat pellets in the canister to buffer the pH down slightly for the livestock and plants in it.
I cycled a Rubbermaid trash bin filter for my 300-gallon plastic tank with pure ammonia. It completed the breakdown of ammonia to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate, but I didn't stop feeding the pure ammonia until the KH went to zero and the nitrification process went dormant. Baking soda kicked it back up, so I have been using it since then.

Last edited:
trail cam saw this guy snooping around the chicken pen...hopefully it stays out of my garden.
20240427_213335.jpg
20240427_213101.jpg

I seeded 80 tomatoes and I've lost 26 to some weird fungal wilt at the stem were it meets the soil. MOSTLY it's one variety, but a few others thrown in there to confuse me. I've NEVER had this happen before and this is the first time with this new seeding soil. I've chucked the rest out. I found promix at Home Depot! So I got some of that. I've never had a problem with that brand.
SO heat sun and moisture control for the rest of the new seedlings, they're now in the greenhouse.
I did start a flat of cells of the 6 varieties again so fill in the order gaps.
This is nuts.
Planted the indigo sweet corn and the sweet peas today.
Beyond that it was just allergy shot day and market day.

Last edited:
That just can't be! 5 gallon bucket evaporate? Something, or someone, was thirsty 🤔 now just who was that crafty devil? Snuck in, drank the water & left without a trace, not even a tell tale turd...I am suggesting setting up some sort of camera to see what's going on! You've got to have some ornery joker or crazy critter taking that water! 😜
Agree.

I finished the roof on the grow out pen for the littles. Still need to clean out old bedding and replace with fresh shavings then reattach HC and make a new door. I only did a little in the gardens. I planted leftover shallots from last year into the Sugar snap peas and lettuce bed. I also planted carrots in the bed with the leeks, sugar beets and Bok Choi. I planted the strawberry plant replacements then watered everything. Tomorrow is laundry day and I’m thinking of getting my hair trimmed. However, the priority for this week is to get the littles outside. I had my phone on me when I took the garbage out so I snapped these shots.
IMG_6687.jpeg
IMG_6686.jpeg
IMG_6688.jpeg
IMG_6689.jpeg

I've had hot flashes so bad that I was legit SERIOUSLY tempted to stand naked outside during a snow storm. 😂😂😂. I told DH "it's snowing. No one will be able to see me..." His response "except your horrified teenage children..."

View attachment 3816035
I used to feel as if I had a blowtorch aimed at my back...I don't miss it, at all.

Back
Top Bottom