What did you do in the garden today?

did a 50% water change to my 75 gallon fish tank. The total dissolved solids were over 800ppm so I figured it was time. I used my python and put the water into 5 gallon buckets out in the yard. Mixed in some fertilizer and my nematode drench concentrate with each bucket full. Got everything fed and watered! And a good drench of the nematode control solution. Three birds with one stone!
On Sunday I did a major cleaning, 16 gallon water change on my 29g tank, a little more than 50%, but I didn't check the nitrates, they're always about 5-10ppm due to the plants. I used to dump the buckets of dirty water on my shrubs, but my gardenia is dying, and I think it's due to root rot from all that water. I did put some tank water on my flowers.
IMG_20240514_170433967.jpg

When I finished stripping down the tank to sand I discovered I still had four Kuhli loaches. A couple of them are almost 8 years old.
IMG_20240512_193845778.jpg

:love

Yeah, I'm not sure why I've had so much trouble with Baker flower seeds this year. I also sowed 3 different packets of yarrow from Baker, in addition to the other seeds I listed. None of those have germinated either.

Over a dozen flower seed packets, from multiple shipments, without a single germination...

And at least 6 flower seed packets that had low germination with under 5 plants maximum.

Wonder if I should reach out to them?
I have had mixed results from my Baker Creek seeds this year. The borage and one variety of lettuce didn't germinate, even after sowing twice, BUT the Black-seeded Simpson did great, and all the squash and melons have germinated well, too.

The front yard is mowed and weed whacked. I wanted to work in the backyard but there were few breaks in the drizzle. Tomorrow looks to be a washout so it looks like a good day to make bread.
Hey, I just finished mowing my yard too, but I didn't pull out the weed eater. Minus the garden, buildings and areas under the trees I think I have about a half acre to mow.

They were parts of onion sets that got lost in the tomato plant row last year. The tops died off and I forgot all about them. They are now thicker and taller than I've ever seen, about 2 feet high. At one point, when they were about 4 inches high, a rabbit chewed them down to about an inch. As soon as they flop, I'm digging them up.
Thanks. I planted onion sets this spring. If I remember I'll leave a few and see what they do next year. I didn't know rabbits would eat onions.

On Sunday I did a major cleaning, 16 gallon water change on my 29g tank, a little more than 50%, but I didn't check the nitrates, they're always about 5-10ppm due to the plants. I used to dump the buckets of dirty water on my shrubs, but my gardenia is dying, and I think it's due to root rot from all that water. I did put some tank water on my flowers.
View attachment 3833169

When I finished stripping down the tank to sand I discovered I still had four Kuhli loaches. A couple of them are almost 8 years old.
View attachment 3833170
:love
Those Kuhli loaches are cool-i! For some reason they make me think of those poisonous sea snakes.

The overwintered in the ground onions are nicer and larger than any onions I've EVER planted in the spring. Hmmmm. I might have to repeat this 'accident'.

Interesting. Were those onions planted as seeds, sets or plants? Did they bolt last year?

They were parts of onion sets that got lost in the tomato plant row last year. The tops died off and I forgot all about them. They are now thicker and taller than I've ever seen, about 2 feet high. At one point, when they were about 4 inches high, a rabbit chewed them down to about an inch. As soon as they flop, I'm digging them up.
When I've pulled up "missed" onions from the year before, the bulb is nothing but mush. The tops might look great, but the bulb is bleah. These were planted as sets last year.

I think I planted too many zinna seeds in the yogurt container. :eek:

They were seeds I saved from last year's zinnas. The first attempt in a smaller pot yielded only two plants, so I figured the seeds had a low germination rate.

I put the rest of the seeds in the yogurt container and hundreds of them sprouted! More than I'll be able to plant, that's for sure.

IMG_4147.JPG IMG_4142.JPG IMG_4143.JPG

I have had mixed results from my Baker Creek seeds this year. The borage and one variety of lettuce didn't germinate, even after sowing twice, BUT the Black-seeded Simpson did great, and all the squash and melons have germinated well, too.
I did email them so we'll see what they say. I've had good results with any veggies, fruit, and herbs that I've ordered from them with the exception of the St Johns Wort. It just seems to be a flower seed issue for me. So weird...

I use them for hardening off my starts. Pictures to explain:
View attachment 3832600
They're protected from any critters, and
View attachment 3832601
The sheets protect them from the sun when they're first out, and from cold temps at night.
Ah! That makes a lot of sense!
We were getting a light drizzle when I took the dogs out earlier. I really hope we get a few more showers today. I still need to plantsome flowers. I have a couple packs of perennial wildflowers I need to scatter. Then there’s the new clematis along with the marigolds and nasturtium. I’ve had very good luck with direct seeding okra @Smokerbill. I usually direct seed my squash but the summer squash is going in the garden with the green beans and last year I had trouble with slugs munching on the starts up there. Is that a black Australorp @Swiss? I have 6 of them and I’m not sure if they’re cockerels or pullets yet. They’re about 10 weeks old and depending how the light is hitting them I can’t tell what they are. I’ve never had trouble telling chicks apart before.
It is a Black Copper Marans.

Electric poultry netting around the garden?

small area to bother. I put a pallet and a long piece of styrofoam. transplanted some tomatoes, peppers and eggplants. ok at the moment. when plants grow big my dogs don't enter the garden. I still have some leaks and kale so watering and waiting for the new plants to grow.

Back
Top Bottom