What did you do with your flock today?

I'm so sorry about your Cochin babies. Is it possible the heat plate isn't warm enough or too hot? Maybe place a thermometer under it and see if it's hitting the mark for temperature.
No, I don’t think that is it. Everyone else is doing fantastic. It’s just them. I have one more who has externally pipped. I want to see if this little one does better. If not I may just leave it to their moms to hatch them. One of them has officially decided to go broody. I guess I shouldn’t say officially but she is still on the eggs. And boy she worked hard to get some fake eggs under her. The pink is where she took the fake eggs from and you can see her in the blue of where she is.

Attachments

• B4C9C251-DF19-40DD-BD29-B93D84B44137.jpeg
    B4C9C251-DF19-40DD-BD29-B93D84B44137.jpeg
    874.1 KB · Views: 2
Adorable N welcome to the thread!

@FBMcrazy8 so sorry you lost another baby! Man that is hard...maybe failure to thrive? My little that died last hatch that prob had that would stand underneath the heat plate with eyes usually closed ...I could get it to come out and eat but it more or less pecked at it rather than really eating from what I could tell.

Welcome to the others that are new on thread as well...the copy thingee didn't work.

@TropicalBabies really nice setups you have and luv how u made it from scraps!!!

@ChicksnMore hoping your lil mom continues to do well along with the flock on the new babies!

@kurby22 Yall still got flooding?
I'm guessing several of you others are getting hit like we are in TN with this nasty weather.

So many nice days and the builders didn't show...again. DH told em it had to be done before Easter...i.dont see how.when they don't show up on pretty days much less once a week.

DH helped me get couple pieces cut on the coop addition and I began the hardware cloth on the outside edge.
Definitely going with the L-shape and gonna use remaining leftover hardware cloth (man that stuff makes you wanna swear!) To enclose the area alongside the main run so the lil turds, I mean sweet babies, will stop eating my lambs ear! They gave it the worst haircut on all NEW growth in just 30 minutes! Plant Beasts!!!
That way they'll get some free time, safer from wide open area for dang hawks and my flowers and gardens will have a better chance at life lol!
Just gonna have to rethink the lil area there where all the sunflowers and compost cantaloupe grew so well last year.

Adorable N welcome to the thread!

@FBMcrazy8 so sorry you lost another baby! Man that is hard...maybe failure to thrive? My little that died last hatch that prob had that would stand underneath the heat plate with eyes usually closed ...I could get it to come out and eat but it more or less pecked at it rather than really eating from what I could tell.

Welcome to the others that are new on thread as well...the copy thingee didn't work.

@TropicalBabies really nice setups you have and luv how u made it from scraps!!!

@ChicksnMore hoping your lil mom continues to do well along with the flock on the new babies!

@kurby22 Yall still got flooding?
I'm guessing several of you others are getting hit like we are in TN with this nasty weather.

So many nice days and the builders didn't show...again. DH told em it had to be done before Easter...i.dont see how.when they don't show up on pretty days much less once a week.

DH helped me get couple pieces cut on the coop addition and I began the hardware cloth on the outside edge.
Definitely going with the L-shape and gonna use remaining leftover hardware cloth (man that stuff makes you wanna swear!) To enclose the area alongside the main run so the lil turds, I mean sweet babies, will stop eating my lambs ear! They gave it the worst haircut on all NEW growth in just 30 minutes! Plant Beasts!!!
That way they'll get some free time, safer from wide open area for dang hawks and my flowers and gardens will have a better chance at life lol!
Just gonna have to rethink the lil area there where all the sunflowers and compost cantaloupe grew so well last year.
Hahaha chickens are the worst garden destroyers 😆

Glad you had some nice days but I’m sorry that your contractors are so terrible! Your problems are exactly why I stress out about hiring anyone to do anything hahaha. Such a huge pain!

Well, I don’t have any flooding where I am…but all the rain caused a tragedy that I’m very upset with myself over. I came home from my therapy appointment on Wednesday night and Aria was sobbing and holding my rooster bobtail Cochin…and they told me they found his girlfriend Ms Muddi dead in her nest box 😢 I’m just devastated and mad at myself and so very heartbroken 💔 😢 I cleaned out the coop and wet bedding in the run and found bloody poops 😢 So I treated their water with Corid and desperately collected her eggs and put them in the incubator in hopes they might be fertile. I just adored her 😢 I feel like such a terrible chicken mom. I just wanted to wait out all the rain before trying to refresh bedding but I should have powered thru it. Such a brutal lesson learned. 😢💔 We’ve had two days of sun and get one more tomorrow before we get MORE rain. Several birds are sneezing, so everyone got some meds in their water and tomorrow we will be putting out fresh shavings to dry things out. The mud is out of control. So sadly, I’m in a bummed out mood and feeling bad. Other than that, I have been working on my chicken logo and plans for the Poultry Expo. I may mainly take quail and d’Anvers now since my bobtails won’t be producing anymore :-( And my bantam wheaten pullet hasn’t laid a single egg yet. 😩 Plus she isn’t alone and I can’t guarantee purebreds! Blah! Chickening is such an emotional rollercoaster!

No, I don’t think that is it. Everyone else is doing fantastic. It’s just them. I have one more who has externally pipped. I want to see if this little one does better. If not I may just leave it to their moms to hatch them. One of them has officially decided to go broody. I guess I shouldn’t say officially but she is still on the eggs. And boy she worked hard to get some fake eggs under her. The pink is where she took the fake eggs from and you can see her in the blue of where she is.
One determined little lady!

Forgot to check the egg cache yesterday, so over 2 days had 21 eggs. The boys are frantic everyday they see the girls outside. I noticed poor Little Miss is missing a bunch of feathers from the base if her tail area. Those boys just don't know the proper technique and balance yet, between that and the double tapping, the back of some girls' heads also look slightly bare. Read somewhere that some roos can take up to 2 years to settle. Is this true? It's been great to not have any excess eggs. Sold 7 dozen last week, made 18 into deviled eggs today, and then my neighbor came looking for a dozen. He got some freshly laid ones. How are you all's percentages doing? We're at 75% laying.
Cinnamon escaped from the fenced yard. I look out the kitchen window and there she is, exploring..I got her to go back in with treats. The fencing is 6'. Wonder if she flew over? She's the queen of the coop.

Last edited:
Hahaha chickens are the worst garden destroyers 😆

Glad you had some nice days but I’m sorry that your contractors are so terrible! Your problems are exactly why I stress out about hiring anyone to do anything hahaha. Such a huge pain!

Well, I don’t have any flooding where I am…but all the rain caused a tragedy that I’m very upset with myself over. I came home from my therapy appointment on Wednesday night and Aria was sobbing and holding my rooster bobtail Cochin…and they told me they found his girlfriend Ms Muddi dead in her nest box 😢 I’m just devastated and mad at myself and so very heartbroken 💔 😢 I cleaned out the coop and wet bedding in the run and found bloody poops 😢 So I treated their water with Corid and desperately collected her eggs and put them in the incubator in hopes they might be fertile. I just adored her 😢 I feel like such a terrible chicken mom. I just wanted to wait out all the rain before trying to refresh bedding but I should have powered thru it. Such a brutal lesson learned. 😢💔 We’ve had two days of sun and get one more tomorrow before we get MORE rain. Several birds are sneezing, so everyone got some meds in their water and tomorrow we will be putting out fresh shavings to dry things out. The mud is out of control. So sadly, I’m in a bummed out mood and feeling bad. Other than that, I have been working on my chicken logo and plans for the Poultry Expo. I may mainly take quail and d’Anvers now since my bobtails won’t be producing anymore :-( And my bantam wheaten pullet hasn’t laid a single egg yet. 😩 Plus she isn’t alone and I can’t guarantee purebreds! Blah! Chickening is such an emotional rollercoaster!
Double sad for you. :hugs :hugs

Back
Top Bottom