What did you do with your flock today?

Jellybeans had a nice cecal poop on the board and that made me VERY happy. It seriously did lol 😆
I know the feeling. Crazy how we can get excited about 💩. Like when Pepper finally had normal ones again.. She is back to her normal fluffy butt self. Still runs from me. Glad to hear she is ok, and Lady Ruby, too.

My girls are so silly. I think they like having a huge community nesting box, as in the floor of the temp coop, which is about 3 x 3. There were a bunch of eggs there in a big depression they had made in the shavings, right in the middle. Never consistent. They have a head start on the Easter egg hunt.
I actually have an entire coop that no one will use at night to sleep in—but they all use it to lay eggs! And even go broody. Silly birds! 😆

Hahaha chickens are the worst garden destroyers 😆

Glad you had some nice days but I’m sorry that your contractors are so terrible! Your problems are exactly why I stress out about hiring anyone to do anything hahaha. Such a huge pain!

Well, I don’t have any flooding where I am…but all the rain caused a tragedy that I’m very upset with myself over. I came home from my therapy appointment on Wednesday night and Aria was sobbing and holding my rooster bobtail Cochin…and they told me they found his girlfriend Ms Muddi dead in her nest box 😢 I’m just devastated and mad at myself and so very heartbroken 💔 😢 I cleaned out the coop and wet bedding in the run and found bloody poops 😢 So I treated their water with Corid and desperately collected her eggs and put them in the incubator in hopes they might be fertile. I just adored her 😢 I feel like such a terrible chicken mom. I just wanted to wait out all the rain before trying to refresh bedding but I should have powered thru it. Such a brutal lesson learned. 😢💔 We’ve had two days of sun and get one more tomorrow before we get MORE rain. Several birds are sneezing, so everyone got some meds in their water and tomorrow we will be putting out fresh shavings to dry things out. The mud is out of control. So sadly, I’m in a bummed out mood and feeling bad. Other than that, I have been working on my chicken logo and plans for the Poultry Expo. I may mainly take quail and d’Anvers now since my bobtails won’t be producing anymore :-( And my bantam wheaten pullet hasn’t laid a single egg yet. 😩 Plus she isn’t alone and I can’t guarantee purebreds! Blah! Chickening is such an emotional rollercoaster!
Oh my god! I'm so sorry about Ms Muddi :hugs I know how much you loved her and all your birds. You are not a bad chicken mom. Don't talk like that! You're doing your very best in truly awful conditions ❤️

Found teeny tiny baby mites in the big coop under one of the roost bars when I cleaned out the coops this morning, so a thorough scrub with Total Mite Kill ensued with a follow up dusting of mite and louse powder. It reminded me that they haven't had a dose of invermectin since last September so spent the morning chasing Gladys round as she refuses to be picked up. No such problems with Clara and Ferdy who had their drops administered then decided my shoulder was the place to hang out:
20230325_102211.jpg

@ChicksnMore she is adorable and looking so much better already!
@PopoMyers yeah they have all been flowering with our 80s in February...crazy weather.
@kurby22 they r both so adorable!!! I totally understand the wanting more...i feel like im being tied down and gagged when it comes to wanting more! Spring has these 4 boys hootin n hollerin so much! I hate the lady didn't come get Joey cuz I sure was looking forward to hatching over 3 dozen!

Last edited:
Well I’m officially very dumb and hopeless. Someone posted a breeding pair of bobtails on our local Facebook page and I’m vulnerable and sad so I bought them 😩🥴 Picking them up tomorrow. They’re even a similar age…not as perfect as Ms Muddi but I don’t care 😩 They are truly the sweetest Cochins I’ve ever owned.
View attachment 3444096
They're good looking birds! Hope they're as sweet as Ms Muddi. Still got my fingers crossed for her eggs. ❤️
I actually have an entire coop that no one will use at night to sleep in—but they all use it to lay eggs! And even go broody. Silly birds! 😆
I put roosts in the runs during the summer and almost all the birds prefer to sleep there. In the summer I get the desire to catch every breeze. But you'd think in the winter they'd naturally seek the warmest roosts to sleep. Nope. 🤣Sometimes I wonder why I bother with coops at all. I have to take all the run roosts out every winter to convince them to sleep warmer. Creatures of habit...lol.

Back
Top Bottom