What did you do with your flock today?

I know I'm going out to a muddy mess this morning from the looks of things through the windows. We had the worst storm ever I think last night. I need to clean up a bloody mess inside this morning before even going out. The incubator is full of bloody broken egg shells and a bunch of loud cheeping little monsters making their presence known.

Exciting!! I went to Tractor Supply today and did NOT buy any chicks! So proud of me 😆 Congrats on the new babies!!
Such strong self control! Why am I not surprised? But then again, you have all the special breeds, which they do not carry. I was there too, getting mixed flock feed to combine with the 30% game raiser, and found a couple bags of that for half off. Score. Was able to help a fellow beginning poultry tender get the right feed for his mixed flock of ducks, chickens, and new chicks. Feels so good to be of help.

I know I'm going out to a muddy mess this morning from the looks of things through the windows. We had the worst storm ever I think last night. I need to clean up a bloody mess inside this morning before even going out. The incubator is full of bloody broken egg shells and a bunch of loud cheeping little monsters making their presence known.
Is that normal?

This morning's tasks on chick duty. Clean and refill water (repurposed hummingbird feeder) change out the mason jar feeder to the long red plastic one which I had screwed down onto a 2x4 awhile back. Those mason jar feeders are too shallow, and a lot of feed comes out. Yesterday I had it in a paper towel lined plant tray, and there was a lot of food which is now salvaged. Yesterday, I had to add the other clump of grass, because they were all crowding onto the one. They sure found it quickly to explore and play in. Chickie see, chickie do. They are not monkeys, 😆
I also locked the big girls in, as we are expecting a wet couple days, and those silly girls will play in heavy rain, oblivious of the fact that they are getting wet.

Is it unusual for chicks to seem to not need the hotter temps as recommended for brooding on several info pages I've read? These seem happier at day 4 with around an 82-84 air temp, and I'd seen them move away from the lamp warmed area when it came on, and sleep on the outskirts.

Is it unusual for chicks to seem to not need the hotter temps as recommended for brooding on several info pages I've read? These seem happier at day 4 with around an 82-84 air temp, and I'd seen them move away from the lamp warmed area when it came on, and sleep on the outskirts.
I agree. Since I have been raising chicks in the coop, I've seen them out and about in their area, completely away from the Sweeter Heater, just peeping, scratching and having a good old time, even when the temps are in the low 40s. I stopped worrying about them so much the first time I saw one of my mama hens with a chick in January taking it outside on day 2. The chick would watch mama and then scratch around a bit, and when she was cold she'd say something and go under mama for a while. Now my chicks do that in their coop. That was a few winters ago, and the temps were in the 30s at the time.

I love giving chicks the ability to self regulate. Works wonderfully. I have had my day old ontop of their heating pad panting on an 85° day. As long as they have a place to warm, and it is warm enough.
You guys are making me miss raising chicks. Guess you should post photos for your chicken pals who are able to resist the urge of getting burried in chicken multiplication 😄💕.

Bravo @kurby22 ! It's a one step, one day at a time thing 😂🐥🐤🐣🐣🐣🐤🐣🐤🐥🐥🐥🐥🐣🐤🐤🐣🐥🐥🐥
As far as being quiet, I'm the same. I don't like to share my problems, just my way out of - or the solutions and results. I'm also in the process of regrouping.

My flock is to big and I have not thinned anymore after my many losses a few long months ago. Shoot, I lost 7 big girls and rehomed a boy. My remaining light Brahmas have been trouble makers and taken away some of the joy of chicken keeping for me. And Mazzie is as old as dirt and has slowed quite a bit. I am seriously thinking that rehoming the lights is the way to go, but then, that means Spider too and I don't think I can. Beetle is a pushover but all is calm with him.

Just my own little chicken soap opera around here 😂 ⏳️ As the Poop Collects

This morning's tasks on chick duty. Clean and refill water (repurposed hummingbird feeder) change out the mason jar feeder to the long red plastic one which I had screwed down onto a 2x4 awhile back. Those mason jar feeders are too shallow, and a lot of feed comes out. Yesterday I had it in a paper towel lined plant tray, and there was a lot of food which is now salvaged. Yesterday, I had to add the other clump of grass, because they were all crowding onto the one. They sure found it quickly to explore and play in. Chickie see, chickie do. They are not monkeys, 😆
I also locked the big girls in, as we are expecting a wet couple days, and those silly girls will play in heavy rain, oblivious of the fact that they are getting wet.

Repurposed hummingbird feeder?
🤔🤔🤔
Care to share a photo?

Got 4 new babies today. 1 each of WL and BSL. 2 EE's. Granddaughter helped me name them. The WL is Penny, the BSL is Peppa, the gold colored EE is Cinnamon and the EE with the stripes is Bernadebt. I came up with the spelling for Bernadebt.
IMG_20240309_141513.jpg

Back
Top Bottom