What did you do with your flock today?

Made chick doors for the outsiders. Had a few pecks, and not from the ones I was expecting - but babies can escape and mingle more

Annnnnd after just breaking one hen (took six days) our Mama may decide to go broody again...(who has been broody twice before, this would be third, she's a year old)
They are a determined bunch!! :p

Our entire yard is soggy lol

Added a bit of pine for now. A rework is in the works but we have to wait for the rain to stop lol four days last week and three this... April showers lol
I totally feel your pain! I have the added fun of the rats taking advantage of the super soft mud to tunnel and dig all over and make giant mud holes and piles...sighhhh. I have one bird in that coop and run right now because no one likes him except people...he's a gorgeous black d'Anver cockerel so I want him to eventually fit in! :D But until he grows out of his annoying teenage attitude with the ladies and other roosters...he's a loner!

Attachments

• PXL_20240412_190111823.jpg
    PXL_20240412_190111823.jpg
    646.2 KB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20240412_190040573.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240412_190040573.MP.jpg
    569.2 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20240412_185930116.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240412_185930116.MP.jpg
    723.6 KB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20240412_185908851.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240412_185908851.MP.jpg
    643.1 KB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20240412_185905666.jpg
    PXL_20240412_185905666.jpg
    509.1 KB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20240412_185917965.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240412_185917965.MP.jpg
    470.2 KB · Views: 1
The smallest chick is not faring well.

I found it on its side in the run, eyes closed but breathing. It also had been pecked in the head. I put it under my shirt to comfort it as it passed.

But within about 15 minutes it was cheeping, eyes open!

I put it back in the nest with Martha, and have seen it come out with the others, but it's still not quite right. It cheeps a lot. I fed it some scrambled eggs and am hoping it will do better.

Awww, Maple reminds me of Sylv as a chick. He was already 6 weeks old when we got him but he used to bliss out on me in just the same way.
That watermaal chick! 😍😍😍
Yeah, I love the ones that bliss out! Penny my mottled bantam EE used to sprawl out on my chest upside down whenever I held her. She's been my sweet and most friendly girl from the start. :love

I know, the watermaal chicks are just so itty bitty and adorable!! I love the little markings and cheek fluff!

Yeah, I love the ones that bliss out! Penny my mottled bantam EE used to sprawl out on my chest upside down whenever I held her. She's been my sweet and most friendly girl from the start. :love

I know, the watermaal chicks are just so itty bitty and adorable!! I love the little markings and cheek fluff!
Too many adorable breeds out there! I keep having to remind myself that I have enough 😂 But watermaals! Even their names a pleasure.

Made chick doors for the outsiders. Had a few pecks, and not from the ones I was expecting - but babies can escape and mingle more

Annnnnd after just breaking one hen (took six days) our Mama may decide to go broody again...(who has been broody twice before, this would be third, she's a year old)
Oh my! I love the chick stretching up to inspect the cardboard 😄
Your girl sounds just like my Penelope, she'd been broody 3 times before she was a year old and went broody at least twice a summer and once a winter. Mind you, the winter brooding might just have been an excuse to stay indoors...

I totally feel your pain! I have the added fun of the rats taking advantage of the super soft mud to tunnel and dig all over and make giant mud holes and piles...sighhhh. I have one bird in that coop and run right now because no one likes him except people...he's a gorgeous black d'Anver cockerel so I want him to eventually fit in! :D But until he grows out of his annoying teenage attitude with the ladies and other roosters...he's a loner!
Since Penelope passed, Stan has been a nightmare. At the moment, I have him separated from everyone except Gladys. If he gets uppity with her, she firmly puts him in his place. Think we're going to have to get him a replacement girl at some point soon.

Back
Top Bottom