What did you do with your flock today?

I didn't do much with the hens today. I collected eggs, gave them a couple each of tomatoes and apples to share, then cleaned and refilled their 2 gallon water bucket.

I locked them up for the night in the secure run about 3 hours earlier than normal, just because I was already out there and didn't feel like going back out later.

The sunny, 70 degree morning quickly devolved into a cloudy, windy, rainy afternoon in the 50's.
Still sounds like a great day.
IMO, the calm 'nothing much going days' are the best, most memorable days. :D

Yes, this is her first brood, and she's doing a great job. She launches herself at any hen that gets close. LC ("Little Chick") sometimes cries when she loses track of Momma Martha, but Martha goes back to where LC can see her and clucks until LC runs over. She's almost tender with her.
View attachment 3807100

Samuel attacked the chicks today. He was removed, permanently. The coop is quieter.
Oh bless her! That maternal instinct is so, so strong. She's a natural!😍
Naughty Samuel. Are they his babies?

Note to self: don't use styrofoam in the coop. I tried putting the feeder up on a thick styrofoam cooler lid and the flock started eating it!
I don't know what it is about the stuff but chickens just love it! Weirdos...

I try to buy stuff without Styrofoam packaging but sometimes it's unavoidable. What I don't use for pot drainage or insulation, I turn to glue. It's strong stuff!

Last winter I partially closed off some of the vent area on the chicken coop to somewhat block the icy north wind. I repositioned the exterior plywood wall sections this morning so that the coop has full ventilation.

I also removed a section of OSB that covered the hardware cloth at the back corner of the secure run. There's plenty of airflow now in both the coop and run.

Back
Top Bottom