What did you do with your flock today?

Yesterday I had a very. . . Unpleasant experience with Gary. While I was filling up the big buckets of chicken food, he tried to jump over the duck water and into the coop. They do it all the time, despite having stairs only a foot away, but whatever, who am I to judge.
Only this time he missed, and landed in the duck water. Now, it’s not very deep. The chickens can stand/have stood in it without being fully submerged, but I guess Gary didn’t know that. He freaked out (although I guess I would too in that situation, lol), splashed water everywhere, including all over me, and he didn’t stop flapping even after I got a face full of duck water when I pulled him out. To make matters worse, the water hadn’t been changed for quite a few days. :sick

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve had ducks for about 6 years now so I’ve been splashed many times, but man, it’s still so gross. And then he had the audacity to scream at me when I towled him off. He’s always smelled bad before, but he smells so much worse now. 🤢
I’m really glad I changed out of one of my nice button up shirts right before I went out there. I don’t want to think what would’ve happened to it. XD

Yen almost did the exact same thing less than five minutes later. They’re both my sapphire gems. I love them, but man, they can be dummies sometimes. XD
Oh but don't you just love them :gig:celebrate:bow:lau:celebrate

I let my babies out earlier today than I ever have. They were one month old today and are at that ugly stage, first molt, all downy feathers sticking up on their heads and looking like teenagers that don't know how to groom themselves, lol. They're trying out their wings, too, running and flapping across their little run like pilots that aren't allowed to get lift yet, just buzzing the runway. They'll all be pecking and scratching like good little chickens, then one will cut loose and scare the others and it's a stampede like a bunch of hysterical dragonflies for a minute. I could watch them all day, they're hilarious.

Yesterday I had a very. . . Unpleasant experience with Gary. While I was filling up the big buckets of chicken food, he tried to jump over the duck water and into the coop. They do it all the time, despite having stairs only a foot away, but whatever, who am I to judge.
Only this time he missed, and landed in the duck water. Now, it’s not very deep. The chickens can stand/have stood in it without being fully submerged, but I guess Gary didn’t know that. He freaked out (although I guess I would too in that situation, lol), splashed water everywhere, including all over me, and he didn’t stop flapping even after I got a face full of duck water when I pulled him out. To make matters worse, the water hadn’t been changed for quite a few days. :sick

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve had ducks for about 6 years now so I’ve been splashed many times, but man, it’s still so gross. And then he had the audacity to scream at me when I towled him off. He’s always smelled bad before, but he smells so much worse now. 🤢
I’m really glad I changed out of one of my nice button up shirts right before I went out there. I don’t want to think what would’ve happened to it. XD

Yen almost did the exact same thing less than five minutes later. They’re both my sapphire gems. I love them, but man, they can be dummies sometimes. XD
That sounds extremely unpleasant!! Duck water sounds disgusting 🤢

I haven’t had much time with my babies the past couple days. My daughter fell off the monkey bars and fractured her wrist :-( and then we had a 4-H meeting and I had a 3 hour adult volunteer training last night! Tonight I finally had some time and they clearly felt neglected! They were so hyper and flapping all over and sassing each other and squawking up a storm at me haha. The weather has been lovely too, so I’m sure that helped too :) I love watching my little bantam Cochins sass the big chickens. It’s so cute and brave! 😆

I let my babies out earlier today than I ever have. They were one month old today and are at that ugly stage, first molt, all downy feathers sticking up on their heads and looking like teenagers that don't know how to groom themselves, lol. They're trying out their wings, too, running and flapping across their little run like pilots that aren't allowed to get lift yet, just buzzing the runway. They'll all be pecking and scratching like good little chickens, then one will cut loose and scare the others and it's a stampede like a bunch of hysterical dragonflies for a minute. I could watch them all day, they're hilarious.
This was exactly how my babies were tonight! It’s so entertaining 😁 Hysterical dragonflies is a perfect description haha. Mine are 11 weeks and going a bit stir crazy! I’m close to letting them fully integrate with my big chickens, but they’re not quite big enough yet. Gonna give them a couple more weeks of supervision and look don't touch…there’s definitely more attitude from my big chickens in the morning…:-/ so we are still working on that!

I swear my husband must be a chicken whisperer. He stuck those RSL chicks under Pi'i last eve and she excepted them no problem. Great match. And everybody is back in the brooder due to mommy making a mess in the feed and water. View attachment 2835583
Have my sights on a new visitor. This one is beat so I think I will call him Mr Bojangles.

Not sure if I mentioned that the crew gets their vet visit on Saturday. Don't know if I can sneak Bojangles onto the visit. Poor baby, he is a walking starving scarView attachment 2835585
Oh my, he does look thin. Looks like a small black panther though! He’s gorgeous. 😍

Oh no! So sorry 😞 I hope it is a quick and uneventful heal. ♡♡♡
Thank you! She will be alright, just sad she can’t “hold her chickens!” 😢 or play soccer for awhile. My good friend’s 3 year old daughter fell out a two story window yesterday and cracked her skull (SO scary but she is okay) so I feel very grateful my daughter only has a small fracture!

I love that "dragonfly" stage. Nothing like cute fresh chickens :love with so much life and energy. I'd love to see a video though wouldn't go through the trouble to post one myself lol.

Well, good morning all! Happy Aloha Sunday! Well, in chicken world all is well. I loaded up a truckful of mulch for the run etc but gave to my neighbor who was doing some serious gardening and looked like he could use a treat. I'll pick up another load next week. I do need to figure out something for momma Pi'i and her brood today, they are crowded and bored locked in the brooder. Think if I put the brooder on the ground in the run or garden, I can open the door for outside access. That should be good and just keep the rest of the flock- consisting of 1 hen, 1 roo and 5 cockerels (🤦‍♀️) - Pi'i and her brood should stay safe. I don't know... gotta think on it more. Miss the chicken condo!!!

Kitty world, I took 3 into KHS vet yesterday were all kitty's got checked by vet and Pu'u was taken into their adoption program. Yeah Pu'u ♡♡♡!!! I want to keep Forest still and Kahili needs more work b4 she can get homed but we all knew that right? She did get her vacs, and antibiotics for her respiratory thing. I'll get her fixed in October where hopefully she will be a people person and all sorts of adoptable. I did not trap Ele Ka Pele (formally known as Bojangles) and I am glad as he has to go another route. But he can have a better life regardless.
It's MIL weekend and she did some kitten carting around with us and was great. A much better start to our weekend than last and to top off all of that good news, our weather has been incredibly pleasant too.
🌺Stay well all, be good and decent!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom