What did you do with your flock today?

Ok so I have some, and some of my other chickens. And my dog just do I can publicly shame him for being scared of something he eats cooked.View attachment 2949943View attachment 2949942View attachment 2949941View attachment 2949939View attachment 2949938
You have some beautiful birds!
Awwwwwwww one of my brown leghorn ladies laid her first egg today. I took a photo with it next to one of the regular eggs we get from the production reds. It's so frigging cute! It's smooth and perfect and just the awesomest little thing I've seen in a long time. It made me smile so much. And....because the roos have been particularly (ehem) persistent in their pursuit of going forth and multiplying, we'll also have fertilized eggs soon enough. For now though, I'm just in love with this teeny little oval bit of perfection. ❤
View attachment 2949993
That’s so cute, congrats!
Hauoli Makahiki hou!! 🥂🎉
So fun to catch up!
Ok @ROBroom Beebe gets a name change if I can remember it. Rambo... Rambutan.... Rumpelstilskin.. . gosh darn it..
@FD, no need for an intervention... we all know who your mom is and how she is... so maybe a group or family intervention but I'm sure she will sabotage any such nonsense.
@kurby22 things are sounding a little up on the chicken front. :fl:fl:fl:fl:fl
Loving the excursions @goats. I just love the way this thread thinks ♡♡♡
Beautiful shares and we are so lucky to have such kind knowledge on this thread. Thanks for the encouragement @nchls school .
K. I only missed @PJ. Nice photos, beautiful flock ♡♡♡
And some happy person who was being responsible checking the flock and made me feel a little slacker-ish.
So happy fourth all!
:lau

4.5 mo pullets busted snooping around the nest box. This will never, ever, ever get old for me to catch ♡
20220105_073619~3.jpg
20220105_073832~2.jpg
Rise and shine! Cleaning up a rejected flavor of cat food first thing in the morning does not bother the chooks at all. Taste like cooked, ground gecko.
20220105_073110.jpg

The silkies at the HS got updated photos. In my very limited experience, it looks like ones a boy and ones a girl. There’s also a very cute EE pullet there. I would have to name her Oos, because I’ve got Papa Smurf, Other Smurf (Os), and then she would be Other Other Smurf. XD

My disabled Polish hen, Philly, has been getting picked on by the other two poles quite a bit. I’m trying to convince my family she needs a silkie friend, but I don’t know if it’s working or not. I mean, I’ve already got all the stuff for it! And she did pretty well with Harriet in the short amount of time they were together. That said, she was a chick then. But the silkies are pretty young (I’d estimate 2-3mo) so I don’t think there’d be any pecking issues.

The silkies at the HS got updated photos. In my very limited experience, it looks like ones a boy and ones a girl. There’s also a very cute EE pullet there. I would have to name her Oos, because I’ve got Papa Smurf, Other Smurf (Os), and then she would be Other Other Smurf. XD

My disabled Polish hen, Philly, has been getting picked on by the other two poles quite a bit. I’m trying to convince my family she needs a silkie friend, but I don’t know if it’s working or not. I mean, I’ve already got all the stuff for it! And she did pretty well with Harriet in the short amount of time they were together. That said, she was a chick then. But the silkies are pretty young (I’d estimate 2-3mo) so I don’t think there’d be any pecking issues.
I’m often told I’m a terrible enabler, so with that said…having silkies is just great fun and I bet they’d be great friends with your Polish hen and what’s one more EE?? 🙃 You might need to show us pictures to help you fully decide! :)

Silkie are great birds I have frizzle with them. There is the polish x silkie that has the topknot and the silkie cockerel
that has the frizzle gene. There has been no picking at all.View attachment 2951337
They’re beautiful! I’ve wanted silkies for such a long time now. Harriet was only here for about a month, and she only served to fuel my silkie craving. XD
At the time no one else wanted to get them because they’d need a separate coop and run, they’re accident prone, etc., but after having a blind silkie and pre-made coop, I don’t know if that still applies, lol.
I’m often told I’m a terrible enabler, so with that said…having silkies is just great fun and I bet they’d be great friends with your Polish hen and what’s one more EE?? 🙃 You might need to show us pictures to help you fully decide! :)
So far I have one definite no, one oh-look-at-the-time-I-gotta-go, and one no-but-I-don’t-take-care-of-them. The odds are not in my favor. XD
Here are the pics I stole off their website.
AE998C75-BBBB-4201-8100-0B8311801267.jpeg

6844F2C3-603E-48F4-A8AD-DD36E4568AED.jpeg

They have three other chicks about the same age, the silkie cockerel, a barred rock cockerel, and what looks like a RIR pullet. I’d want the RIR too, but the one I have now doesn’t have a great attitude (way too clingy, and she likes to bully the younger birds), and it’s a boring breed.
While we’re at it, here’s another bantam I want. She’s about 1yo, and I love her solid black demon eyes. <3 I’d name her Abbadon.
0CE0720C-B3F2-475E-97C8-57664D5FD0B3.jpeg

They’re beautiful! I’ve wanted silkies for such a long time now. Harriet was only here for about a month, and she only served to fuel my silkie craving. XD
At the time no one else wanted to get them because they’d need a separate coop and run, they’re accident prone, etc., but after having a blind silkie and pre-made coop, I don’t know if that still applies, lol.

So far I have one definite no, one oh-look-at-the-time-I-gotta-go, and one no-but-I-don’t-take-care-of-them. The odds are not in my favor. XD
Here are the pics I stole off their website.
View attachment 2951357
View attachment 2951358
They have three other chicks about the same age, the silkie cockerel, a barred rock cockerel, and what looks like a RIR pullet. I’d want the RIR too, but the one I have now doesn’t have a great attitude (way too clingy, and she likes to bully the younger birds), and it’s a boring breed.
While we’re at it, here’s another bantam I want. She’s about 1yo, and I love her solid black demon eyes. <3 I’d name her Abbadon.
View attachment 2951359
Ohhh is that a white Silkie like my Betty White?? Sooo cute! I think you need them! The EE looks like a sweet and inquisitive chicken so you obviously need her too! And the black girl is a definite black beauty! She’s so sleek and sophisticated looking with a touch of darkness that adds to her flair! 😍 She looks tiny! Would barely take up any room at all! I’m impressed there are so many choices at your HS!! There are two roosters at ours, no others! A LOT of bunnies though :-( It would be hard to say no to those cute chicken faces!! 😁

I am marking today as a good day in the chicken department…and after my last two months, the good days feel pretty great. I think both Puff and Newbell are making good progress although Newbell seems to have gotten it a bit worse than Puff and is taking longer to get well and act normal. I’m also keeping an eye on Fluff since he’s had a couple of nose bubbles. I’m starting them on a different antibiotic tomorrow and I’m hoping it helps finish off this round of viruses. I’m so over needles and injections and eye ointments and iodine treatments…

Speaking of Fluff I am fascinated by his lack of obvious gender at 6 months old! Especially since he is the bigger of the two and got feathers in before Puff. Puff (last picture) has caught up and surpassed Fluff, and I’m not sure it it’s due to Fluff feeling sick or if maybe he will always be a bit ungendered (is that even a word haha). I honestly don’t care at this point other than hoping whatever he is it mixes well with the other two boys so I can keep him. He’s a sweet boy, not as cuddly as Puff, but he likes to visit and sit with me too. He has all the boy feathers but his comb is small, pink and sort of girlish and he does not crow—yet anyway. And on top of that Puff tried to mount him yesterday 🙃 It’s interesting and I’m wondering if he’s just a super slow developing boy? I sure love him regardless! He’s free to be whatever he is 😁

Attachments

• 70D7AB47-9B9E-4CF4-BC5C-CCC3AF4B9776.jpeg
    70D7AB47-9B9E-4CF4-BC5C-CCC3AF4B9776.jpeg
    355.2 KB · Views: 2
  • C8602762-9FDD-467C-B526-9F7AF2518556.jpeg
    C8602762-9FDD-467C-B526-9F7AF2518556.jpeg
    491.2 KB · Views: 1
  • C7AD7E8C-664C-4BD8-8587-6C7D912A2A72.jpeg
    C7AD7E8C-664C-4BD8-8587-6C7D912A2A72.jpeg
    715.7 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom