What did you do with your flock today?

Husky are hard headed best dog in or on run, airline cable.
@kurby22 I am so sorry!
Good morning suppose to see 90 here frozen peas and corn to all the birds today.
She is for sure hard headed. She was skittish of ppl when we first got her and so we have been gentle with her and it’s biting us in the ass. But if we were hard on her she would be scared of us. My husband yelled at her for something when we first got her and she still doesn’t like him. She runs as fast as she can past him and keeps her distance. And it’s been a little over a year. I’m mean she is warming up to him but still very on edge. And he hasn’t yelled at her since. He hates the she didn’t like him and he felt so bad. We have worked with her on listening with treats.

Your going the right way then. Correction does not have to be rough? but firm the voice is a wonderful tool.
I commend you taking her on.
Yeah…I have what I like to call a “cheerleader” voice. It’s the stupidest thing ever. I am so not even cheerleader material. So not only does my dogs not listen to me, it my kids don’t either….other wise I’m sure she would have listened to me today. My husband is the one that can control the dogs with his voice and I really don’t think today it would have stopped her either. I’m just happy there wasn’t any casualties

Had a close call today…..

We take all the chickens outside to the run. The run is pretty much secure except for where the door is going. But the chickens stay by the coop since they can go under it and there is at least 20’ between there and the door opening. So since I wasn’t far I started watering the plants and herbs around the coop. I told my 9yr old to get the 2 dogs (Rottweiler and Husky) some water. We took them out first to their pen so that when they came outside they didn’t run to the run. So what does my 9 yr old do?!?!? Sends my 5 yr old to go get their bucket. 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ Now she is a pretty strong girl and the dogs tend to listen to her. But not today! She left the flipping gate open when going inside and they both got out. The Rottweiler went back into the house….the Husky did not. Instead she runs to the run/coop. I was on the wrong side when this happened. Luckily she isn’t very bright being only 1 still and didn’t find the door. I drop the watering pail and run to the door opening. I’m standing there trying to keep her out and the chickens in. The 9yr old, 6 yr old and 5 yr old are tying to catch her. Of course the 2 yr old is no help and my 11yr old and 14 yr old are inside. They played ring around the chicken run longer than I was comfortable with. I could see it on her face and body language she was about to try to jump the fence. Of course the side I’m seeing this on we don’t have the second set of fencing up yet. And though the first set is about 5’ high, I know this dog can jump. So I yell at my 9 yr old and 6 yr old to go get the BB gun and bb’s. I had to try to stop her cause the kids weren’t getting her, if I left that door and put a kid in charge it would have been a whole lot worse! She wasn’t listening to me either and had her eyes set on them chickens. Got the BB gun and loaded it. Tried to shot her butt and the damn thing wouldn’t go off. I left the front of that door just enough to pop her and one of our twins (Lilo) got out.😱. And where does Lilo go? Yep flys right into the dog. F*ck! Luckily she is a quick little bird and went fast. All I could see was the bird flying towards our torn down barn. And the Husky ALMOST biting her tail. All I could do was yell. It went so fast. It looked like she got the bird pinned down and I run up and the Husky took off. The bird wasn’t there but I knew the dog didn’t have her. She went under the lumber from the barn. 😮‍💨 Got the dog in the house. Now it was a chicken rescue mission. By then my 11 yr old has come out to help. And I’m glad cause I couldn’t find her. My 2 yr old kept trying to follow me in there and that is the last place I wanted him to be. My 11 yr old found her finally. Checked her out and she is perfectly fine!

Gonna have to do things different with the dogs. I knew we were gonna have troubles with the Husky. But this lady has a shock collar that is going on that dog and I will ALWAYS have the remote on me. I will be damned if I loose a bird because of my Husky.
Sounds like something that would have happened here! My daughter has 2 huskies and they were relentless even through ½" HWC!

Sounds like something that would have happened here! My daughter has 2 huskies and they were relentless even through ½" HWC!
Luckily the fence stopped her from going through…she tried in a way but I was more worried about her jumping it. Do you still have problems or where you able to fix it?

Might want another row of that wire as in twice the height.
Well we have more wire going up on top of what’s there. There is only one side done right now. And then we will be adding 2 rows of hot wire close to the bottom of it. Once she gets zapped by it she won’t want any part of it. She is kind of a baby when it comes to something like that. We have everything for the hot wire but the wire. But that won’t take much.

@racyfamily wow...that sounds like an intense moment you had today! I've been very blessed in dogs and can only imagine how heart stopping that must have been. Hope your plans for handling it all work out well!

I found a treat today in my spangles pen...babies! One of the hens found a spot at the base of some rocks and logs to hide a nest in so I have 5 new lil ones. I'm weird and bring the babies inside with the mom...it's easier to make sure they always have enough water in shallow enough dishes. And I just enjoy it 😃. Anyhow...here's the mom and babies in the brooder. I'll have to clean it, but today I just set it up fast.
20220712_212600.jpg
20220712_211034.jpg

Back
Top Bottom