What did you do with your flock today?

Princess Peaches has a horse voice and a little rumble (plus a light molt). No other flock members. I have had her (and flock) on Tylan for 2 days so I can rule out infectious bronchitis. I think she has gape worm so next will be to worm flock. They are about due anyways but was hoping to wait for another .... ah er.... stall forever. I feel so much more relaxed about it all now. No more end of world lol. I'm such a dork.
Well, made a chicken chili this morning so flock got the roasted chicken carcass. Doing a pre spring cleaning today as computer guy is coming Wednesday and I live in the land of dust. Maybe be as clean and sparkling inside as it I outside 😉😉.
Back to bags tomorrow 🤪

Got some of my scraps coop worked on today! Floor is in, reinforced the beams, painted first layers of primer so the yellow and pink show up nicely, and spray painted the back wall that is already white! It’s looking nice 😍

D15C72B4-9305-4BAF-A318-469B74701422.jpeg

It was a rough day today with driving lessons for the youngest. She was enjoying talking too much on the drive home and didn't take me seriously when I ask her to focus more. She accidentally changed lanes once and came close to hitting another car 3 times in a minute while changing lanes. That was enough for me...I had her pull over and drove us home myself. Think I grained a few more gray hairs today and I'm exhausted. Her driver's test is next week! Bet she passes too. I reminded her that she doesn't get free access to her car until she can drive without scaring me.
Your pedastals look wonderful @TropicalBabies. So much nicer then my broken brick ones. Mosaics would be pretty! ❤️
And your scrap coop is wonderful @kurby22 . Nothing makes me happier then seeing otherwise waste turned into something delightful ❤️. You build pretty and well!

Got some of my scraps coop worked on today! Floor is in, reinforced the beams, painted first layers of primer so the yellow and pink show up nicely, and spray painted the back wall that is already white! It’s looking nice 😍

View attachment 3398035
I wanna live there... well there and that big fat coop in England that @Shetland lover showed us.

It was a rough day today with driving lessons for the youngest. She was enjoying talking too much on the drive home and didn't take me seriously when I ask her to focus more. She accidentally changed lanes once and came close to hitting ano
Oh no! Takes the fun right out of this right of passage. It is so hard being a parent 🤦‍♀️. Then they grow up and leave and never call and you stay racked with guilt with all of the stuff you could of should of done better lol. Then you get more chickens or go on a vacation.
I have been thinking of the https://tahititourisme.com/en-us/island/marquesas-islands/
And
https://www.kiribatitourism.gov.ki/kiribati-pacific-ocean-location/

It is pretty much dh's and YouTube fault

It was a rough day today with driving lessons for the youngest. She was enjoying talking too much on the drive home and didn't take me seriously when I ask her to focus more. She accidentally changed lanes once and came close to hitting another car 3 times in a minute while changing lanes. That was enough for me...I had her pull over and drove us home myself. Think I grained a few more gray hairs today and I'm exhausted. Her driver's test is next week! Bet she passes too. I reminded her that she doesn't get free access to her car until she can drive without scaring me.
Your pedastals look wonderful @TropicalBabies. So much nicer then my broken brick ones. Mosaics would be pretty! ❤️
And your scrap coop is wonderful @kurby22 . Nothing makes me happier then seeing otherwise waste turned into something delightful ❤️. You build pretty and well!
Oh yikes! I am dreading that rite of passage with Aria. She’s SO easily distracted and careless 😳😳 That sounds stressful!! I’m glad you made it home safely! ❤️

Thank you for saying that! It doesn’t feel that way haha, but it’s not bad for a coop I’m sorta just throwing together! 😁

Sounds like a lovely birthday!! 🎉 And that sand shark adventure looked awesome 😍

I did get the report back :-( He died from severe emaciation and tumors in his kidneys and esophagus. They couldn’t confirm specific cause, just a lymphoproliferative disease. So they assume Mareks because of its commonness, but without further testing they can’t be certain. Since I have lost almost all of my birds from one coop and mostly males—it seems like an odd presentation of Mareks? Especially since some live for months after not walking. Nohope has been inside since early December and aside from not walking he’s totally fine. Eats, drinks, his poop is slightly darker than normal but he’s normal and shows occasional signs of not feeling well. I always read that Mareks was in final stages when they no longer walk. Two months is a long time I’d think, but I can’t say I really would know I guess. But viruses are weird. How can I have so many healthy birds if it’s something so contagious with high mortality? I’ve also read that silkies are really susceptible to both Mareks and ALV and I have three that live in the Death Coop without any issues. Never more than a runny nose. So odd. Soo, I will now be vaccinating all day olds straight from the incubator just to cover all the bases.
Poor JoJo! How old was he?
Did the necropsy mention any tumours in his bursas? In particular his bursa of fabricus? I'm asking as I'm wondering if the cause is lymphoid leukosis rather than Mareks. The symptoms are very similar. Another to consider is reticuloendotheliosis virus. It's rare but worth reading up on.
Mareks actually comes in 4 categories of virulence. If you have a low virulence strain, it's not as symptomatic so it would make sense only some birds seem affected. The rest are carriers, constantly shedding the virus. In addition to Silkies, Polish and White Leghorns are also very susceptible to Mareks. And gender and genetic predisposition play a large role too.
Vaccination is definitely the way to go, especially since Mareks can live such a long time without a host in the environment. Some studies have shown survival of the virus for up to 12 months in empty coops.

Nohope' s presentation of Mareks is definitely unusual. Is he walking at all?

Oh no! Takes the fun right out of this right of passage. It is so hard being a parent 🤦‍♀️. Then they grow up and leave and never call and you stay racked with guilt with all of the stuff you could of should of done better lol. Then you get more chickens or go on a vacation.
I have been thinking of the https://tahititourisme.com/en-us/island/marquesas-islands/
And
https://www.kiribatitourism.gov.ki/kiribati-pacific-ocean-location/

It is pretty much dh's and YouTube fault
They both look beautiful and interesting!
I have Polynesian, Micronesian and Barbadian heritage (as well as Scottish and Swedish) on my Dad's side, way back when, so I'd love to visit:love

Back
Top Bottom