What did you do with your flock today?

Today was the chickens' first day out! It took a lot of coaxing (and eventually my husband going in and handing me chickens so I could bring them outside but 7 of 10 enjoyed the outside air.

3 of them ran back inside, and just preferred to stay in the coop.

They did really well! We're having a heatwave so they spent most of the time under the coop but as it cooled down a bit they explored the run.

One chicken put itself back into the coop. We had to trick and catch the others. It's a process lol.

We'll see how things go! Tomorrow morning we're going to try and roof the run before it gets too hot. Wish us luck!

Today was the chickens' first day out! It took a lot of coaxing (and eventually my husband going in and handing me chickens so I could bring them outside but 7 of 10 enjoyed the outside air.

They did really well! We're having a heatwave so they spent most of the time under the coop but as it cooled down a bit they explored the run.

One chicken put itself back into the coop. We had to trick and catch the others. It's a process lol.

We'll see how things go! Tomorrow morning we're going to try and roof the run before it gets too hot. Wish us luck!
How sweet!

They will figure out going to the coop at night soon.

Ours may be similar ages? Mine are 5.5 weeks and like the tractor. They freeze when the crows fly by and caw. They have rafters to hide in, too. I don't think they would like being away from some sort of coop on our woods on the water property. I think a roof on the run is a great idea. It creates shade and keeps predators from seeing too much in the flyovers.

Here they are getting their goth do's in the tractor. 5B34E5CA-AA7F-416E-B026-47CA136E1DF6.jpeg

Ours may be similar ages? Mine are 5.5 weeks and like the tractor. They freeze when the crows fly by and caw. They have rafters to hide in, too. I don't think they would like being away from some sort of coop on our woods on the water property. I think a roof on the run is a great idea. It creates shade and keeps predators from seeing too much in the flyovers.

Here they are getting their goth do's in the tractor. View attachment 2165230
Ours are about 6 weeks old! Today went better?? They stayed out for most of the day after being tossed out. Had to throw most of them back inside. The last one was being rude but then decided she wanted to walk up the ramp all on her own. XD Ah well, homesteading-lite is an adventure!

Ours are about 6 weeks old! Today went better?? They stayed out for most of the day after being tossed out. Had to throw most of them back inside. The last one was being rude but then decided she wanted to walk up the ramp all on her own. XD Ah well, homesteading-lite is an adventure!

Haha yes, no rude babies! Michele the Cockerel pinched me for removing him from the tractor. But only once. Punishment to him is stroking his head. He closes his eyes like, "this is not happening." But he's sweet as pie now. Every few days, though...

Needless to say, my babies adore the grass. 53113947-F591-438E-8AA4-75DD9AD7B19A.jpeg

Last edited:
So far my birds have been adjusting pretty well to sleeping on the perches. They haven’t tried to sleep in a tree/the car, but I have had to switch them around almost like a sliding puzzle so they aren’t pecking each other and Beigie has a spot to sleep. XD
3B85E9EE-8C82-44EE-970F-F4C3C60B74EE.jpeg

And I got a picture of Os having a tea party. She’s very quickly becoming one of my top all time favorites. :oops:
18D866B4-A502-463A-BC62-C7A623ABEDB1.jpeg

She is so soft, and super friendly. My other two chicks aren’t very nice, but she’s a total sweetie. <3
A08A2623-68A7-4B57-BFA3-87A1F696E425.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom