What did you do with your flock today?

Sounds like you’ve been busy! I’m sorry you’ve had so many hawk attacks. Hopefully the netting will keep the hawks away. :hugs

Thank you! Unfortunately I couldn’t get pics of them all. :( Puff Puff and Papa are going through a pretty nasty molt right now, and the others are too sketchy to tolerate a phone in their space. I was able to get a picture of Beigie though, and that never happens. :D
View attachment 2430273

I don’t think any of my birds like Christmas trees. That being said, due to fire hazards we have to dispose of the tree pretty quickly. Maybe this year I can try with some smaller branches.

It really is! I’m really lucky that most of my chickens love hugs (80% of the time Iris crows it’s because he want love XD)but it’s not often one of them will choose me over snacks. :3

That’s Geralt, my sapphire gem. I’m sorry for your loss.:hugs Yeah, she was. :(
Yes hopefully!

Aww Nessa was a Sapphire Gem too

My flock is probably angry at me today. Trying to keep them locked up in order to train the pullets to lay in the 'coop' (more like a horse stall), but theres definitely not enough space for how many I have. They sleep there every night but are used to getting to free range all day. Yesterday I put lots of food and water in there plus more nesting boxes and fixed a broken roost to make inside more appealing, but it is really weird being out in the yard without a zillion chickens running around. I keep checking on them to make sure there isnt any fighting.

Really is tough to go one extreme to other chickens are pretty close to be habit creatures..

Yester-eve, I FINALLY cut shelves for the craigslist storage container I picked up many months ago.... with my helpers it took me 10x's longer than it would normally...
20201130_151528 (2).jpg
20201130_145809.jpg 20201130_145749 (2).jpg
and today, I cut some 1x's and screwed to the open sides to add a little weather protection w/o cutting off too much air. I ran out of wood so I am at a stopping point again.
20201201_130243.jpg 20201201_131400.jpg
The old biddies are locked in the run with their new boy. Old roo shredder is in timed out again because he won't stop flogging my BR's, I tossed a broody in with him lol. 2 birds baby. New roo Spider, is a perfect boy so far so that is that, I want his babies more than the Silkie mix anyways.
Back up roo is free ranging with the teens and the itty bitty's. They are sooo ridiculously cute!
I rehomed 3 more roo's this morning, have Shredder advertised for free... things are MUCH more quiet today.

Last edited:
We do have major space for them I have never been a duck fan .. Lived on lake for years .. Canadian geese Where awful we shot buckshot over them sicked dogs on them anything, they crapped all over it was horrible for all of us there :idunno
I’m just starting with ducks. I only have three and intend to keep it that way. Fortunately these don’t fly and don’t have access to the patio we use.

I regretfully had to Kill one of birds today I caught her eating an egg ..
Egg eating is not usually the fault of the hen. The evil egg eating hen is a myth-- usually caused by a weak eggshell.

Please keep this in mind for the future:hugs

I could go into detail but the basic point is that testing an egg for hatchability is normal chicken behaviour if the egg breaks it is no longer for hatching but then becomes food.

chickens are opportunistic feeders and will eat broken eggs.

Given the conditions of this time of year, I am not surprised that the egg was weak and the hen ate it

I sadly watched my father in law kill his entire flock one winter for this reason.

Back
Top Bottom