What did you do with your flock today?

Done! I have heard of that off and on throughout life and these pages. I was hoping someone would chime in with something I missed. Thank you! Just what I needed. May even have some in the fridge... will go check today when I drop the mower. Till then I wait the few days for Amazon. 👍

So I pretty much only mowed the lawn or half of the lawn yesterday. The other half is too rough with the pinecone, pine roots and pig divits, just better to weed whack. I had to take the rear left wheel off and clean out all the muck after the gears got clogged with delicious organic muck from the front half so took longer than I had hoped.
Paying a little price for not listening to my DH and bringing up ramps 🙄 back is a tad off.
Spent much of the day sewing after that.
Yesterday's highlight was the flock all over the yard especially after the mow. Good to see them feel relaxed and stretch out. And Spider's feathers are starting to fill in. We also don't have a second crower anymore up here after taking the three down. Gets me to worrying about B all over again 😂View attachment 3270058
I'm still hoping B's a girl and hoping your camera catches her in the act! 😁

Well the last of my unwanted birds are gone. Bert came and got them and asked when I'm gonna have unwanted yokos...lol. I gave him some Yoko roos a couple years ago but never have given him a hen.
I kept the little black bibbed female. So now I have 2 boys and three girls. I pulled my ads early though so he got two bibbed drakes and a pair of snowys plus a couple dwarf roos. Wanted to make sure he got at least one girl in there. Bless his whole family for their passion for pretty birds.

@TropicalBabies
Look what I got today!
20220924_144929.jpg

Hubby's in love and I'll definitely have to pull out my sewing machine when we get home ❤️ I found the seeds as well! What kind are they? Than you! ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

@TropicalBabies
Look what I got today!View attachment 3270592
Hubby's in love and I'll definitely have to pull out my sewing machine when we get home ❤️ I found the seeds as well! What kind are they? Than you! ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
The Bird of Paradise seeds I found on that one walk I think 🤔 I told you about.
You have such an amazing gree thumb I could not help it lol 🌱
Yes, do try! Keeping plastic out of the landfill one bag at a time!

Oh my gosh I had a day you would all appreciate.
notice one of Pi'i chicks eye looked funny so dropped him for eyeworms and he had a bunch! Dropped other 2 chicks but they were pretty ok.
After DH and I filled and loaded almost 30 bags of composted horse poop in the mid day heat and humidity we headed back home. I took some photos of chicks, filled feeders and said hi/bye to all and then popped my head in to see Faith. I saw a little face and half a shell.
A few days early according to my calendar... I thought I smelled something rotten and hubby walked up then and lifted her while I cleaned out poop and 2 hatched and dead chicks ☹. I grabbed 3 eggs and put under Pua, left Faith with (I think 3). Grabbed my meds and headed up the mountain. Decided to put Hope on a different antibiotic to see if it helps. I start thinking ... call my DH when I get up and ask him to put the baby in with the other chicks and grab all eggs and put in bator. 1 egg I had put under Pua was bare except for the membrane... Faith must have had something to do with that as the chick could not have.. I asked my hubby to assist as it may not make it without him. Pua had left her nest before he got there so the call was a good one. He said the chick just slipped right out with just a little help.
93648_exported_17000.jpg

He also said he could hear chirping from inside the eggs as he put them into the bator. So far another has hatched. I hope we were able to keep this from being a total loss.

notice one of Pi'i chicks eye looked funny so dropped him for eyeworms and he had a bunch! Dropped other 2 chicks but they were pretty ok.
After DH and I filled and loaded almost 30 bags of composted horse poop in the mid day heat and humidity we headed back home. I took some photos of chicks, filled feeders and said hi/bye to all and then popped my head in to see Faith. I saw a little face and half a shell.
A few days early according to my calendar... I thought I smelled something rotten and hubby walked up then and lifted her while I cleaned out poop and 2 hatched and dead chicks ☹. I grabbed 3 eggs and put under Pua, left Faith with (I think 3). Grabbed my meds and headed up the mountain. Decided to put Hope on a different antibiotic to see if it helps. I start thinking ... call my DH when I get up and ask him to put the baby in with the other chicks and grab all eggs and put in bator. 1 egg I had put under Pua was bare except for the membrane... Faith must have had something to do with that as the chick could not have.. I asked my hubby to assist as it may not make it without him. Pua had left her nest before he got there so the call was a good one. He said the chick just slipped right out with just a little help.View attachment 3270843
He also said he could hear chirping from inside the eggs as he put them into the bator. So far another has hatched. I hope we were able to keep this from being a total loss.
Oh sadness! Sounds like a busy chicken and poop day! I’m glad you were able to save the other eggs and babies! Hope the rest hatch easy peasy ❤️

I’ve never heard of eye worms 😖 Seriously so many ways for chickens to die 😩😩 I hope the Terramycin works, I use it with much success! It’s a game changer with sinus and eye issues.

Still no clue if JoJo is girl or boy!! The most confusing bird! I definitely think I see very obvious saddle feathers and boy like tail feathers…but no comb really, no wattles…small, skinny legs, no crowing. Born March 6th! So 6 months and no idea 😆 It’s a mystery! :idunno So we shortened the name to be less girlie and will enjoy the yard art 😆 Such a sweet weird little frizz head 😍😍

Attachments

• CA4B8DCD-17C4-4374-BA5D-917E8010A01B.jpeg
    CA4B8DCD-17C4-4374-BA5D-917E8010A01B.jpeg
    279.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 93391583-B6AB-4B5E-9367-05DB8DCC8D64.jpeg
    93391583-B6AB-4B5E-9367-05DB8DCC8D64.jpeg
    469.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 4587C545-80DD-4A1B-9BA9-F3C9FED9F1BB.jpeg
    4587C545-80DD-4A1B-9BA9-F3C9FED9F1BB.jpeg
    630.6 KB · Views: 1
The Bird of Paradise seeds I found on that one walk I think 🤔 I told you about.
You have such an amazing gree thumb I could not help it lol 🌱
Yes, do try! Keeping plastic out of the landfill one bag at a time!
O my gosh that's exciting! I noticed how distinctive the seeds were with that little orange stuff but I didn't put it together! O I hope they grow! I'll have to get some pics. The spider Lily is growing like a rocket 😍, I have more ti sprouting and naupakas are getting their second leaves so will get transplanted before we leave. And the plumeria seedlings are rockets too ❤️. I'm worried about leaving them for so long at this tender stage...but trying to set things up to keep them well.
A few days early according to my calendar... I thought I smelled something rotten and hubby walked up then and lifted her while I cleaned out poop and 2 hatched and dead chicks ☹. I grabbed 3 eggs and put under Pua, left Faith with (I think 3). Grabbed my meds and headed up the mountain. Decided to put Hope on a different antibiotic to see if it helps. I start thinking ... call my DH when I get up and ask him to put the baby in with the other chicks and grab all eggs and put in bator. 1 egg I had put under Pua was bare except for the membrane... Faith must have had something to do with that as the chick could not have.. I asked my hubby to assist as it may not make it without him. Pua had left her nest before he got there so the call was a good one. He said the chick just slipped right out with just a little help.View attachment 3270843
I've never heard of eyeworms either. When I was out yesterday I noticed the bottom lid on Manny's eye is drooping...I've actually never had that in a bird before so I have to read to see if I can figure it out. He also has mites so that whole pen is probably infested.

I wonder how that happened to the egg? Is the baby ok or was it too young to hatch? Hope the remaining eggs hatch out well.
Still no clue if JoJo is girl or boy!! The most confusing bird! I definitely think I see very obvious saddle feathers and boy like tail feathers…but no comb really, no wattles…small, skinny legs, no crowing. Born March 6th! So 6 months and no idea 😆 It’s a mystery! :idunno So we shortened the name to be less girlie and will enjoy the yard art 😆 Such a sweet weird little frizz head 😍😍
Aaaaa! What a head....such feathers! I have no idea how you'll tell with that one...think just wait for a crow or eggs...lol. Talk about eye candy though😍

Well, yesterday I got all the chickens out of the house...lol. I set the oldest babies up in safe grow out pen and the youngest peachick and a couple lil chicken chicks in a porch brooder since the pea needs a heat lamp at night still.

The oldest chicks enjoying a dirt bath.
20220924_133738.jpg
20220924_133739.jpg

And Gi Gi the pea baby with a couple companions.
20220924_133628.jpg
20220924_133631.jpg

I got a call from a neighbor asking for help with a Chihuahua mix. His owner died and he's been next door waiting to find a new home, but their ancient, blind and deaf mastiff tripped over him and his hip went out so they had to have him put down. They paid to have a vet come to the house so their dog could go as peacefully as possible. They were so upset and wanted the chi mix gone asap. So I said ok. O my god aren't I stupid? I leave in about a week! 🤦‍♀️
But...I have an old friend who's wife passed last year, and their dog passed a couple months ago. He's in his 90's, ran marathons until the pandemic and he's lonely as hell. So cross your fingers for us that he's ready for a new dog. I'm going to ask him to babysit this guy while we're gone in the hopes they hit it off and it helps both of them.🤞

Back
Top Bottom