What did you do with your flock today?

Ok. I should clear up the eye worm mystery. So, to the best of my knowledge they come from the Sumatra cockroach. Not a gross bug but an outside wanderer. Chickens love to eat them and not all roaches carry the worms, matter of fact, eye worm seems not common and are probably one of the easier fixes and even may be a little seasonal. Though, they can blind and kill a chicken if left untreated. The Oxy Rid drop kills them almost instantly and then just a few day follow up drop and all is good. Just part of being in the tropics I guess. We have to keep a weather eye out for worms 😖

Baby chick is fine. DH fired up the incubator and I am hoping for some kind of salvage of the hatch. Scarry thing is I have accounted for 7 eggs. She was sitting on 10. Going to head down soon and sort and clean up. So far that one and another have dried and are sleeping in the incubator and another is in the brooder with my other hatch doing perfect.
I was telling y'all about the broody v incubator discussion on another thread. This seasons experience absolutely reaffirms incubator for me. Just on so many levels. Glad I gave it a shot again. One thought is my brooder box may be too hot so I will need to correct that if I want to attempt a summertime broody again. At this moment I am anxious for the weather to cool so we can clean out and dismantle the storage area and I can set up my brooder station. The other is me not being there things get missed or seen late. Though not sure I would have caught this disaster... my honey did a good job ♡ turning him into a chicken farmer yet ♡♡♡

Well the last of my unwanted birds are gone. Bert came and got them and asked when I'm gonna have unwanted yokos...lol. I gave him some Yoko roos a couple years ago but never have given him a hen.
I kept the little black bibbed female. So now I have 2 boys and three girls. I pulled my ads early though so he got two bibbed drakes and a pair of snowys plus a couple dwarf roos. Wanted to make sure he got at least one girl in there. Bless his whole family for their passion for pretty birds.
I wish I had a friend like Burt ♡ hehehe!

Ok. I should clear up the eye worm mystery. So, to the best of my knowledge they come from the Sumatra cockroach. Not a gross bug but an outside wanderer. Chickens love to eat them and not all roaches carry the worms, matter of fact, eye worm seems not common and are probably one of the easier fixes and even may be a little seasonal. Though, they can blind and kill a chicken if left untreated. The Oxy Rid drop kills them almost instantly and then just a few day follow up drop and all is good. Just part of being in the tropics I guess. We have to keep a weather eye out for worms 😖

Baby chick is fine. DH fired up the incubator and I am hoping for some kind of salvage of the hatch. Scarry thing is I have accounted for 7 eggs. She was sitting on 10. Going to head down soon and sort and clean up. So far that one and another have dried and are sleeping in the incubator and another is in the brooder with my other hatch doing perfect.
I was telling y'all about the broody v incubator discussion on another thread. This seasons experience absolutely reaffirms incubator for me. Just on so many levels. Glad I gave it a shot again. One thought is my brooder box may be too hot so I will need to correct that if I want to attempt a summertime broody again. At this moment I am anxious for the weather to cool so we can clean out and dismantle the storage area and I can set up my brooder station. The other is me not being there things get missed or seen late. Though not sure I would have caught this disaster... my honey did a good job ♡ turning him into a chicken farmer yet ♡♡♡
The first time I saw a cockroach I embarrassed myself...i was alone at home though so only I knew how silly I reacted. I actually squeeked and looked for a chair to jump on like it was a man eating tiger running across the floor. 🤣
Living in AZ for so long has me reacting more normal though now. Now I grab a shoe! I'm gonna have to read about sumatran roaches just outta curiosity and I'm sooo glad they're not here!

Your hubby sounds like a gem. He'll make a great chicken farmer...lol. I'm so glad the babies are making it!

I'm definitely a fan of incubators. My girls are great broodies and great mom's (except the yokos...lol)...but I still get a better success rate with an incubator and brooder. Super hot here so maybe your on to something with the heat.

Well, yesterday I got all the chickens out of the house...lol. I set the oldest babies up in safe grow out pen and the youngest peachick and a couple lil chicken chicks in a porch brooder since the pea needs a heat lamp at night still.

The oldest chicks enjoying a dirt bath.View attachment 3271225View attachment 3271226
And Gi Gi the pea baby with a couple companions.View attachment 3271229View attachment 3271230

I got a call from a neighbor asking for help with a Chihuahua mix. His owner died and he's been next door waiting to find a new home, but their ancient, blind and deaf mastiff tripped over him and his hip went out so they had to have him put down. They paid to have a vet come to the house so their dog could go as peacefully as possible. They were so upset and wanted the chi mix gone asap. So I said ok. O my god aren't I stupid? I leave in about a week! 🤦‍♀️
But...I have an old friend who's wife passed last year, and their dog passed a couple months ago. He's in his 90's, ran marathons until the pandemic and he's lonely as hell. So cross your fingers for us that he's ready for a new dog. I'm going to ask him to babysit this guy while we're gone in the hopes they hit it off and it helps both of them.🤞
Your chicks look so good and healthy. Bet that dirt feels great!
20220924_123157.jpg

I'm not sure if my broody chicks are any better off from having their own 24/7 mom.

Also the switch in antibiotics was a good idea. Going to drop for worms in Hopes good eye though see no evidence. Wish me luck.

*** did not hit send lol ***
Dropped Hopes good eye and no sign of worms so if there is a nasty b*stard in the other eye hopefully the meds will get to him. Chicken sinus thing.
I do believe she is responding to the new antibiotics already though... fan of syringe feeding and I can get her a vitamin blast to help too. Her reward was a handful of meal worms that she was pretty happy about.

And she gets live mealies! Lucky girl ❤️

Manny had to settle for dried ☹️
Well, I got everyone/everything dusted with de. Took a better look at Manny's eye and just observed him for a bit. Did the same with the coop he was in. Everyone looks, acts and sounds healthy so think it's just an injury. Isolated the poor boy just in case and gave him some eye medicine. Here he is freshly dusted and his eye treated. Hate having any irregularities when leaving.
20220925_134611.jpg

On the good side... Schultz is all better and back with his flock. I should of gotten a picture...the yokos are so easy. I brought him in and set him down and not even one "hey where ya been" peck happened in spite of five other roosters in there. They just make their happy sounds, eyeball me, eyeball him, and eyeball me some more ..lol.

And she gets live mealies! Lucky girl ❤️

Manny had to settle for dried ☹️
Well, I got everyone/everything dusted with de. Took a better look at Manny's eye and just observed him for a bit. Did the same with the coop he was in. Everyone looks, acts and sounds healthy so think it's just an injury. Isolated the poor boy just in case and gave him some eye medicine. Here he is freshly dusted and his eye treated. Hate having any irregularities when leaving. View attachment 3271661
On the good side... Schultz is all better and back with his flock. I should of gotten a picture...the yokos are so easy. I brought him in and set him down and not even one "hey where ya been" peck happened in spite of five other roosters in there. They just make their happy sounds, eyeball me, eyeball him, and eyeball me some more ..lol.
Just. So. Beautiful. ♡♡♡!

OMGeeze I just broke my rule for no hatching the rest of the year...

I just ordered a dozen bantam cochin eggs!!!
I totally have issues!!! More ways than one too!
I got so many ideas, aspirations, dreams and idk if any of it is possible or not! I sure hate to rehome any of my babies again and have regrets!!!
@LadiesAndJane and @kurby22 guess I'll be joining yall on the HAL for October!

Back
Top Bottom