What did you do with your flock today?

Well despite all the efforts, Asha passed away about an hour ago in my arms. Poor sweet girl, I’m going to miss her so much. We were couch buddies for the past month and I’d grown more attached to her 😢 Thanks for all the help and support though ❤️
I am so sorry.

This is me too!!!
The only problem with this is do you find people that want your extras or are you stuck with em all?!
I have so far...but I'm breeding more since I got the dwarfs so I'll have to see how it goes. I have two people that have always taken my extras over the years. They free range, don't breed and just have chickens for the happiness they bring. I also met two people through selling this year that I book marked as maybe people to give some unwanted birds to. And then I give birds away to neighbors, friends and friends of friends too.
I was amazed this year by how far some people drove to come buy birds from me. One lady drove six hours here and six home. Another drove a few hours from a neighboring town for two of my peafowl. Selling might be all I need? 🤞
Good luck with your excess babies!

Should add that with the chickens...I make sure I tell people that I'm selling what I consider flawed birds and tell them what flaws I feel are there. Just in case they're looking to breed.
Gorgeous kitty! Mine insist on 'helping' with my projects. Of course Elliot took it too far when he ate 35 yards of sewing thread and had to have his bowel re-sectioned in three places... but the less said about that the better!
O poor kitty! Hope he's ok!

Last edited:
This is my oldest kids kitties first Xmas. She got an ornament off the tree ands running around like it's her first kill 🤣
20221208_214627.jpg
20221208_214623.jpg

Well despite all the efforts, Asha passed away about an hour ago in my arms. Poor sweet girl, I’m going to miss her so much. We were couch buddies for the past month and I’d grown more attached to her 😢 Thanks for all the help and support though ❤️
No! I'm so very sorry for yall!!! You've been through so much!!!

So much to catch up on. Goats, how much fun they sound like! As for goat cheese, it is too barnyard-y for me. This is the term for that distinct flavor in the cheese world. Great use for the milk, though. My son would love that.

Sourdough, yum! I've seen recipes for the discard. I haven't made a starter, since we don't eat a lot of bread. Best bread with a hot bowl of soup or clam chowder.

So sorry for all the losses in the families. It is especially hard to see them declining and suffering. 109 is quite a long life. Asha is in chicken heaven, and had the best life you could give her.

Lizzie, Fergus, and the beautiful eggs being laid, and nesting boxes being used. Yay, girls! I think one of my 19 wk. old pullets has started laying. Got 6 yesterday, and 5 today, when it was only 3-4. The new eggs look like the ones that the mom laid. Mine have switched back to using 2 boxes in the main coop instead of the cat litter pan one in the temp coop.

Ertugrul, the cockerel, is doing his dancing for the ladies, and has been sowing his wild oats. The brahmas want nothing to do with his sneak attacks, and when he tries, there is always a BIG ruckus. Haven't seen Rumi, the other cockerel, trying for ladies, yet. I think it's because he's the second to Ertugrul. (Does anyone else watch this series on Netflix?)

Finally raked all the leaves, which finally fell off the trees. Of course, chickens are the fastest leaf spreaders around, so they were destroying my piles as I went. :barnie They had a good time, though, after not having grass and dirt for over a week. Snow is melted away. I hurt all over last night. Better today after meds and ointments for pain. Needing those more often nowadays. :old

Bags, and more bags! Sounds like a lot to do, Christmas activities notwithstanding. Hang in there! You have such a generous spirit. A beautiful mission to support the shelter.

That sounds like a nightmare. So sorry about that ☹ and hope Elliot made it through 100%...? 😬🤞

Forest seems an under performer on the looks department to me- the cat only his mother could love ♡♡♡ - but I seem to attract and fall in love with tabby kitties, mostly for their hunting prowess and personalities. I don't find them to be particularly gorgeous untill I stare at them for a long while and then noticed their unique spots, stripes, zig zags and circle patterns. For some reason they seem to find and like me though.
I have only had brown tabby's for as far back as I can remember until Bat (tuxedo) and Mochi (grey tabby). I am even surprised that all people don't have and collect brown tabby's like me 🤷‍♀️🙄😺😽💕
Elliot is absolutely fine now and currently curled up on my lap. Thank God.
He got in my sewing room and basically chowed down on a bobbin of thread. He started being sick 3 hours later and couldn't keep anything down except small amounts of water.
We had no idea he'd even eaten it until 2 weeks and many vet trips later when my vet decided he needed exploratory surgery. He'd had countless x-ray, ultrasounds and contrast x-rays which revealed nothing. By this point he only weighed a few pounds and was so sick he might not even get through the surgery. He's a big boy, half Maine coon, half Bengal so you can imagine how much weight he lost.
Anyway, 7 hours later Laura (vet) rang with the news she'd removed 35 yards of thread. It had knotted round the base of his tongue, formed a knot in his duodenum and was slicing through his bowel as he tried to pass it. He was out of the anaesthetic but still touch and go whether he'd make it.
Fortunately he did but it was a long road to recovery.
Stupid little bugger hasn't learnt his lesson. He will still target anything 'stringy' so any and all such things have to be hidden. He will even pull loops on towels to make his own 'thread'!
I honestly think he has pica, he once flooded the dining room overnight by gnawing on the air lines on the fishtank. I got up to to gallons of water on the floor and the poor fish trying to 'swim' in 2 inches of water!

Oh No! I'm so sorry Kurby. You did everything you possibly could. I'm sure if she could she'd reassure you that, despite being so ill, she loved her time with you. :hugs :hit❤️

So much to catch up on. Goats, how much fun they sound like! As for goat cheese, it is too barnyard-y for me. This is the term for that distinct flavor in the cheese world. Great use for the milk, though. My son would love that.

Sourdough, yum! I've seen recipes for the discard. I haven't made a starter, since we don't eat a lot of bread. Best bread with a hot bowl of soup or clam chowder.

So sorry for all the losses in the families. It is especially hard to see them declining and suffering. 109 is quite a long life. Asha is in chicken heaven, and had the best life you could give her.

Lizzie, Fergus, and the beautiful eggs being laid, and nesting boxes being used. Yay, girls! I think one of my 19 wk. old pullets has started laying. Got 6 yesterday, and 5 today, when it was only 3-4. The new eggs look like the ones that the mom laid. Mine have switched back to using 2 boxes in the main coop instead of the cat litter pan one in the temp coop.

Ertugrul, the cockerel, is doing his dancing for the ladies, and has been sowing his wild oats. The brahmas want nothing to do with his sneak attacks, and when he tries, there is always a BIG ruckus. Haven't seen Rumi, the other cockerel, trying for ladies, yet. I think it's because he's the second to Ertugrul. (Does anyone else watch this series on Netflix?)

Finally raked all the leaves, which finally fell off the trees. Of course, chickens are the fastest leaf spreaders around, so they were destroying my piles as I went. :barnie They had a good time, though, after not having grass and dirt for over a week. Snow is melted away. I hurt all over last night. Better today after meds and ointments for pain. Needing those more often nowadays. :old

Bags, and more bags! Sounds like a lot to do, Christmas activities notwithstanding. Hang in there! You have such a generous spirit. A beautiful mission to support the shelter.
My little 'helpers' are obsessed with raking out anything I put in garden sacks. As soon as i turn my back (and sometimes before!) they're emptying it - usually by tearing a new hole in it! Weirdly, they're terrified by the empty bags and go to the ends of the earth to avoid them. Gotta love chicken brains!🤣

Back
Top Bottom