What did you do with your flock today?

Well this won’t shock anyone…but I got a pair of bantam Cochins and some d’Uccles while here 😆😆

I couldn’t pass up the bobtails, as they are a color I have coveted for two years now! The d’Uccles are just gorgeous and healthy and from the breeder I got Millie so I know they are quality. I have a friend who is going to buy 2 of them from me so I’m not TOO crazy 🤪😆

There are 1932 birds at this show so we didn’t do AS well…Ruby took 5th…I didn’t have the time to get him as snazzed up as usual and he paled in comparison to the bird right next to him so I knew the competition was stiff! Mr. Ball got 3rd in his variety and Mrs. Ball didn’t place. She was one of about 25 white pullet Wyandottes! Jager, my best black d’Anver boy got Best of Variety in a competition of one 😆 and my self-blue dAnvers got Best and Reserve Variety in a competition of two! Haha. My bantam Ameraucanas got similar scores in similar competition. I like having varieties that aren’t common. It’s fun! I’m going to be testing the d’Anver fertility soon too, so maybe some babies to compete with soon!

I am SOOO tired though. We got here at 7:30 last night and were awake by 5 am this morning. Then we got here and did show prep and at 10 met up with our poultry project 4-H group and I helped them buy chickens, talked about showing and then we watched some showmanship. They were very excited young kids my daughter’s age so I enjoyed showing them around :) Was really fun but being extroverted is exhausting for me. Going home tonight with new birds and then driving back in the morning to get the show birds. Going to bed very early 😆 Thanks for the well wishes! ❤️
Congratulations! Tiring, but rewarding day for you.

About time I got back to catch up. It's been below freezing at night for a few days now, them back to rain by Friday, and warmer. Been a bit busy so time enough to check on the kids, filled feeders today. I can report that I haven't seen much evidence of rats tunneling or visiting the feeders since I closed the hatches. Yay for treadles. The girls have figured them out, and if not they have figured out who has, And just eat when they do. LOL. I had made a birthday cake for one of our church ladies, and did some cooking with a friend yesterday. Got to go out and semi clean the flower beds. Guess what I found? An egg. It must have been from before I completely fenced in the bed, or when one girl snuck in there last summer? I am just going to leave it there, daring not to crack it open. 🤢. No moles yet, and they have made new mounds.
20230127_083429.jpg

About time I got back to catch up. It's been below freezing at night for a few days now, them back to rain by Friday, and warmer. Been a bit busy so time enough to check on the kids, filled feeders today. I can report that I haven't seen much evidence of rats tunneling or visiting the feeders since I closed the hatches. Yay for treadles. The girls have figured them out, and if not they have figured out who has, And just eat when they do. LOL. I had made a birthday cake for one of our church ladies, and did some cooking with a friend yesterday. Got to go out and semi clean the flower beds. Guess what I found? An egg. It must have been from before I completely fenced in the bed, or when one girl snuck in there last summer? I am just going to leave it there, daring not to crack it open. 🤢. No moles yet, and they have made new mounds. View attachment 3390351
My stomach growls when I look at your cake. That is one deeeeelicious looking cake! VERY impressive 🤤

Wish I had pictures. We have about 8 inches of snow in Michigan so I spent a portion of the day shoveling a path for the girls from the coop to under the trampoline where they can dust bathe. I made multiple "lanes" and they ran back and forth all day. It was like a highway complete with at least one fender bender when my top bird and bottom gal were going opposite directions in the same lane.

About time I got back to catch up. It's been below freezing at night for a few days now, them back to rain by Friday, and warmer. Been a bit busy so time enough to check on the kids, filled feeders today. I can report that I haven't seen much evidence of rats tunneling or visiting the feeders since I closed the hatches. Yay for treadles. The girls have figured them out, and if not they have figured out who has, And just eat when they do. LOL. I had made a birthday cake for one of our church ladies, and did some cooking with a friend yesterday. Got to go out and semi clean the flower beds. Guess what I found? An egg. It must have been from before I completely fenced in the bed, or when one girl snuck in there last summer? I am just going to leave it there, daring not to crack it open. 🤢. No moles yet, and they have made new mounds. View attachment 3390351
You made this?!? Holy yum! I want some of that tasty goodness! 😍

Wow what a cake! That looks so yummy I'm drooling over here!😍
Wish I had pictures. We have about 8 inches of snow in Michigan so I spent a portion of the day shoveling a path for the girls from the coop to under the trampoline where they can dust bathe. I made multiple "lanes" and they ran back and forth all day. It was like a highway complete with at least one fender bender when my top bird and bottom gal were going opposite directions in the same lane.
What a good use for a trampoline in winter! Sounds like your ladies had a fun day!

Back
Top Bottom