What did you do with your flock today?

I use Nutrena...it's what the local feed store sells so convenient for me. I think my birds do well on it. I get a few ancient birds and decent life span on the rest.

I had to google Pavlovskaya...what adorable goofballs! How fun for you 🥰! So, are you going to keep the different breeds separate or do one big colorful mixed flock?
As of right now they will all be together. But we decided to make like a breeding pen. So if we want a specific breed we will separate them. Especially with the Pavlovskaya’s and Ayam Cemani’s. I don’t know the population now of the Pavlovskaya’s but I want to help their numbers grow. If you look at the history of them they had a rough one. In the 90’s there was only 2 boys left in the world and one was infertile. They breed the other boy with one similar to their breed and basically kept breeding him with his offspring until they were perfected.

Any of you people use Kalmbach feed? What feed do you folks use?
I use Bar Ale organic which is a local feed supplier in the Petaluma/Santa Rosa area. When they’re out of that I use Purina since it’s what my local feed store carries. I’m a fan of the Bar Ale, I use their premium scratch too. Has lots of good stuff!

Do any of you vaccinate your chicks for Mareks?
I do. Mail order chicks I tack that on, home hatched I was doing through a wonderful vet. He broke his hip recently and it sounds like he'll be retiring for good. Marek's vaccine can be mail ordered as well. Lots of options for that. Marek's is nasty and can hang on in the environment for a long time.

My cement pedestals are one of my better ideas that is forsure. I want to mosaic them- at least my new ones. Maybe use them for plants...?
Cement was slow to set. Maybe cool weather, maybe bad mix, we usually do the 3 part instead of the readymix.View attachment 3394209
OMGeeze! I need this!!!
I'm fairly certain my heated waterer has a slow leak based on how the run is doin.
But then again with those dang things they gotta be perfectly level not to spill over some which a way!
it doesn't help that is freezing cold here either with ice still everywhere!
Any of you people use Kalmbach feed? What feed do you folks use?
i use Nutrena...unless ive got newly hatched chicks inside then i use Purina
Medicated Starter...only time I've ever NOT used that as a starter and my Buff babies about died...so makin mental note of that for myself!
As of right now they will all be together. But we decided to make like a breeding pen. So if we want a specific breed we will separate them. Especially with the Pavlovskaya’s and Ayam Cemani’s. I don’t know the population now of the Pavlovskaya’s but I want to help their numbers grow. If you look at the history of them they had a rough one. In the 90’s there was only 2 boys left in the world and one was infertile. They breed the other boy with one similar to their breed and basically kept breeding him with his offspring until they were perfected.
Oh wow! They look like a feather-footed Polish!!! Insane how many breeds there are out there! I would have never heard bout em if you hadn't started the rescue efforts!

I do. Mail order chicks I tack that on, home hatched I was doing through a wonderful vet. He broke his hip recently and it sounds like he'll be retiring for good. Marek's vaccine can be mail ordered as well. Lots of options for that. Marek's is nasty and can hang on in the environment for a long time.
Well I was thinking it was best but I see so many that say they don’t. I have had done some research where to buy it in the summer. I have only found one place. Kinda wish they sold smaller doses so I didn’t have to buy so much for it to go to waist.

Well I was thinking it was best but I see so many that say they don’t. I have had done some research where to buy it in the summer. I have only found one place. Kinda wish they sold smaller doses so I didn’t have to buy so much for it to go to waist.
Ya...seems so wasteful. I started because I got a batch of mail order chicks years ago where one chicks leg went weird. It got worse, spread to other birds etc. I lost a lot of birds that year before I found out why. Marek's. I've vaccinated since. No idea if there's much reason to worry in general.
If you have friends or neighbors who are into chickens, you might be able to time hatches to share the costs? It might also be something you don't need to worry about there. You can ask around to friends and neighbors and see if they've ever encountered it. I definitely recommend vaccinating any chicks you order though...it's worth the small cost.

OMGeeze! I need this!!!
I'm fairly certain my heated waterer has a slow leak based on how the run is doin.
But then again with those dang things they gotta be perfectly level not to spill over some which a way!
it doesn't help that is freezing cold here either with ice still everywhere!

i use Nutrena...unless ive got newly hatched chicks inside then i use Purina
Medicated Starter...only time I've ever NOT used that as a starter and my Buff babies about died...so makin mental note of that for myself!

Oh wow! They look like a feather-footed Polish!!! Insane how many breeds there are out there! I would have never heard bout em if you hadn't started the rescue efforts!
I was thinking the same thing when I seen them. The girls though don’t have the hair on the top of their heads. But their faces are longer than the boys too.

Ya...seems so wasteful. I started because I got a batch of mail order chicks years ago where one chicks leg went weird. It got worse, spread to other birds etc. I lost a lot of birds that year before I found out why. Marek's. I've vaccinated since. No idea if there's much reason to worry in general.
If you have friends or neighbors who are into chickens, you might be able to time hatches to share the costs? It might also be something you don't need to worry about there. You can ask around to friends and neighbors and see if they've ever encountered it. I definitely recommend vaccinating any chicks you order though...it's worth the small cost.
Yeah, the friend I gave one of the roosters too actually has a hatch going. I can see if she orders the vaccine and does it. I know she at least vaccinates her goats. And there is a LOT of people around here that don’t do that. Which I’m really surprised about.

I honestly don’t understand spending so much money and time to get the animals you want, plus raise them, like chickens to the POL to not take care of them. Most vaccines isn’t much. Like the CD-T for the goats here is about 13.99 plus the needles is only 2.99. Such a small cost for time and money spent. I can get the Marek’s vaccine through Jeffers Pet. And I won’t have to rush delivery because it’s really cold here anyway. It’s really only about $42. Not terrible for the overall costs but the fact I can’t even use it all is sad.

My cement pedestals are one of my better ideas that is forsure. I want to mosaic them- at least my new ones. Maybe use them for plants...?
Cement was slow to set. Maybe cool weather, maybe bad mix, we usually do the 3 part instead of the readymix. DH is usually lighter on the cement than I am and I always worry about the integrity of his batches lol 🤣 (women should rule the world). Anywho, where to find the time...???View attachment 3394209
These are so cute! I love this!

Back
Top Bottom