What did you do with your flock today?

Yall! I need your expertise! I've never had an adult with health problems other than ole Joey with his toenails breaking off.
Found Lizzy like this after I let em all out this morning.
Ignore the wack job of a haircut she just got...but I gotta be able to see what's going on with my baby girl!
Oh Lizzy girl!!! You gotta be ok and get back to your lil self sweet baby!!!
I noticed her all puffed up this morning when I let em out of the coop. She came out like normal then I noticed her just standing puffed up and not moving around.
She looks to be opening her beak when she takes breaths...
She's not egg bound...but I did a wack trim job back there as well to be able to see better.
Not my Lizzie girl Lord!!!
Anyone have any ideas what's going on with her? I've got her on poultry cell water, mash, oyster shells and grit in the ICU in garage. This insane weather isn't helping at all! One day 60s and sunny then one day teens and ice everywhere!

Yall! I need your expertise! I've never had an adult with health problems other than ole Joey with his toenails breaking off.
Found Lizzy like this after I let em all out this morning.
Ignore the wack job of a haircut she just got...but I gotta be able to see what's going on with my baby girl!
Oh Lizzy girl!!! You gotta be ok and get back to your lil self sweet baby!!!
I noticed her all puffed up this morning when I let em out of the coop. She came out like normal then I noticed her just standing puffed up and not moving around.
She looks to be opening her beak when she takes breaths...
She's not egg bound...but I did a wack trim job back there as well to be able to see better.
Not my Lizzie girl Lord!!!
Anyone have any ideas what's going on with her? I've got her on poultry cell water, mash, oyster shells and grit in the ICU in garage. This insane weather isn't helping at all! One day 60s and sunny then one day teens and ice everywhere!
Oh no! She does look sad :-(. Any signs of coccidiosis? Otherwise it sorta look up respiratory and I’d get meds for her.

Oh no! She does look sad :-(. Any signs of coccidiosis? Otherwise it sorta look up respiratory and I’d get meds for her.
Her poos are wetter...but hadn't seen one other than residuals on her booty. I trimmed it all away so I can see better what's going on with her. 2 roos hit or miss make for an additional mess back there.

What meds? Vet rx?

Poor Lizzie ☹️. My guess is one of the many upper respiratorys chickens can get. Most of those are bacterial. I use tetracycline for that. Used to be able to buy little bags of it at the feed store here for all kinds of livestock...now I get it through a vet. I think Tractor Supply carries some medicines. I don't get to there often because it's in town, but I remember noting they had a shelf of medicine near the chicken feed area. Can't remember what they had, just that I thought some of it was good, and its expensive for the volume. With quick treatment she'll probably be fine. I give them a heat lamp as well, just like you do for babies, then watch the other birds and treat them as needed.

If she goes off her feed, you can pick up some Gerber's instant mixed grain baby cereal and some soy based infant formula and make a thin gruel she can drink. Medicine can be mixed right in with the liquid food. And then probiotics after treatment. I use milk kefir for that.

Fingers crossed 🤞 :hugs

Hello! This is a place to post pictures/talk about what you and your flock have done today.

I was on a zoom call earlier and Iris, my rooster, decided to stand behind me and crow repeatedly. Thankfully I was on mute, but it was still annoying. They couldn’t see him, but they could see me trying to make him quiet, which was a little embarrassing. :lol:
Here’s a pic of my boy with some mini roses.
View attachment 2128202

What about you guys? Have you done anything interesting with your flock today?

Here are a few pictures of my birds.
View attachment 2128859View attachment 2128860View attachment 2128833View attachment 2128869
View attachment 2128894
We played a few games. My favorite was Guess Who Threw The Tantrum This Morning? It was Billy Joe
Their favorite was Let's check mommy's pockets after she already gave us treats.
Fun morning

@Gammas Bearded Babies if she's not eating, you can put the gruel in a small dish, hold it in front of her and tip her beak tip in...they usually start drinking it right away. Then try to repeat roughly every hour til she's eating/drinking on her own steam again.
She's drinking the water with poultry cell in it...I'll go hook up the heat lamp and see if I can tell she's eaten or not.
I didn't notice if she did this morning once outta the coop or not cuz I was doin everything else.
Her crop isn't empty though.

@Gammas Bearded Babies if she's not eating, you can put the gruel in a small dish, hold it in front of her and tip her beak tip in...they usually start drinking it right away. Then try to repeat roughly every hour til she's eating/drinking on her own steam again.
The minute mine get slow or go off feed I syringe feed them. I keep protein powder on hand, vitamins and Tylan. I make sure to get @ least 10 mils (minimum) 3 x per day.
Make sure to get a photo of her poop. I too would lean to respiratory but video does not show us much.
Check her nares, eyes. Body for bugs, underside for egg binding, vent, crop. Start ruling stuff out. When was the last time she laid an egg?

Sorry about your baby. Can use a rubber band for her "hair don't"

The minute mine get slow or go off feed I syringe feed them. I keep protein powder on hand, vitamins and Tylan. I make sure to get @ least 10 mils (minimum) 3 x per day.
Make sure to get a photo of her poop. I too would lean to respiratory but video does not show us much.
Check her nares, eyes. Body for bugs, underside for egg binding, vent, crop. Start ruling stuff out. When was the last time she laid an egg?

Sorry about your baby. Can use a rubber band for her "hair don't"
So just got a paper towel look at poo
Pretty watery and maybe mucus is the bubbles? But I don't see any blood...so does that rule out coccidiosis?
20230204_101429.jpg
I'm thinking it could be her that has been laying the soft shell eggs...she was in the nest box yesterday morning but jumped out for treats and never laid one.
The d'uccles have gone back to laying so I doubt it's been them laying soft shell eggs.
Had to Google nares...she's the one that has always been bad bout getting mash all up in those. So I'll get a qtip with hydrogen peroxide and try to clean that out.
What ya think bout poo?

So just got a paper towel look at poo
Pretty watery and maybe mucus is the bubbles? But I don't see any blood...so does that rule out coccidiosis?
View attachment 3395402
I'm thinking it could be her that has been laying the soft shell eggs...she was in the nest box yesterday morning but jumped out for treats and never laid one.
The d'uccles have gone back to laying so I doubt it's been them laying soft shell eggs.
Had to Google nares...she's the one that has always been bad bout getting mash all up in those. So I'll get a qtip with hydrogen peroxide and try to clean that out.
What ya think bout poo?
Poop does not look healthy and you have another potential clue with the soft shelled egg. That can make them feel kind of bad. Do you have people calcium or tums on hand? I'd def give her a good dose of it. Can grind and sprinkle the tums or shove 1/2 pill down her throat. I personally sprinkle ground people calcium on a favorite food. If that does not work I syringe feed it in. Im a mean mom lol.
It would not hurt her to get on a broad spectrum antibiotic but you may get by with a warm Epsom salt bath soak (20 minutes and def cover her butt. Then house time in a warm comfortable spot with a place to lay. The calcium stimulates her and inspires her to expel what she needs to. While bathing you can massage her under belly and check her vent. Finger 2" up there to see if you can feel anything. Lube your finger with coco oil or KY type stuff.
With the clue of the soft shelled egg I would head that direction. I don't see any green or funky colors in her poop so does not scream infection but not sure how accurate color visuals are.

Back
Top Bottom