What did you do with your flock today?

@Gammas Bearded Babies Wow...I use terramycin eye ointment all the time and never knew it's available as a powder and can be bought at tractor supply...lol. Terramycin powder is oxytetracycline which is exactly what you want. My vet probably thinks I'm a funny old fart always wanting my annual prescription for tetracycline 🤣

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/zoetis-terramycin-scour-tabs-250mg-24-ct-10490
Ok I checked my location and they are out of that.
So if she's acting normally during the daytime you don't think she's getting better?
Is it because her crop was empty you think she's not improving?
Just trying to understand better.

It won’t help you right now, but this company carries a good selection of meds to keep in your chicken/bird first aid kit!

https://www.mikesfalconry.com/produ...-of-medications-for-frounce-worms-etc/page/2/
Ok I'll look at this.
How do yall know how to go about treating them though...with what for what?
Is it just trial and error?
Cuz like getting her started on the tylan50...
I know it's not one med for everything but how do yall know?
I feel like I'm in over my head ya know.

Ok I checked my location and they are out of that.
So if she's acting normally during the daytime you don't think she's getting better?
Is it because her crop was empty you think she's not improving?
Just trying to understand better.
Without seeing her I can't say... from what you said though, I thought you felt she wasn't doing well so brought her back in and that other birds are also showing signs of illness...off breathing, gaping and balance issues. An empty crop at bedtime is usually a sign somethings wrong. You did good noticing.

You can search BYC for dosing. Someone (Well, all of us) at some time have had to scramble for dosing and thank goodness this sight has. Lots of good info but I do love the chicken chats.
Tylan 50... in powder? Pretty sure that is water soluble and you can treat your whole flock. I get them on that asap and then look for the terramycin for future and if tylan does not kick it.

Ok I'll look at this.
Well I started with a chicken vet…who talked to me about the best meds for upper respiratory issues. I’ve done a lot of research since then to learn what’s best, I use Poultry DVM and their symptom checker, and Mikes Falconry helps by listing what the medication attempts to treat. But honestly, not being a vet and having chickens who can’t speak about their symptoms makes you often feel like you are blind in the woods! You do the best you can, and you are doing that! ❤️❤️

You can search BYC for dosing. Someone (Well, all of us) at some time have had to scramble for dosing and thank goodness this sight has. Lots of good info but I do love the chicken chats.
Tylan 50... in powder? Pretty sure that is water soluble and you can treat your whole flock. I get them on that asap and then look for the terramycin for future and if tylan does not kick it.
Usually TSC carries the liquid Tylan. It’s generally called Tylosin in powdered format I believe? I’m not sure how well the liquid Tylan does in water? I’ve soaked pieces of bread and fed every bird but otherwise I inject the liquid or syringe feed it to them (forcefully) 🥴

Ok I'll look at this.
Livestock people mostly and vet sometimes. Just like your doing!

I'm very curious now what the laws on antibiotics are. I used to buy my tetracycline in bags for $5. When it disappeared I was told it was only available by prescription now...and the stuff I buy does require a prescription now. So how is it legal to sell a small bottle of it as terramycin powder for $30 something but not an equal amount under a different brand name for $5? 🤔🤨

Back
Top Bottom