What did you do with your flock today?

Usually TSC carries the liquid Tylan. It’s generally called Tylosin in powdered format I believe? I’m not sure how well the liquid Tylan does in water? I’ve soaked pieces of bread and fed every bird but otherwise I inject the liquid or syringe feed it to them (forcefully) 🥴
Yeah, the liquid is not supposed to do so well in the water like the powder. That is why I asked, not sure what @Gammas Bearded Babies has. May have missed that.

I'm very curious now what the laws on antibiotics are. I used to buy my tetracycline in bags for $5. When it disappeared I was told it was only available by prescription now...and the stuff I buy does require a prescription now. So how is it legal to sell a small bottle of it as terramycin powder for $30 something but not an equal amount under a different brand name for $5? 🤔🤨
I think they are worried about improper use of antibiotics, bugs building resistance and becoming super bugs.
And or big pharma. 🙄

Oh gosh. Sorry to complain but the mosquitos are horrific here. I mean possibly the worst I have ever seen them and that is really saying something. My poor, poor chickens 😞🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟
They -as you all know- don't like the strong fumes of anything and I am sure they are tired of my EcoVet but I'm not sure how else to ease their discomfort. Last eve I turned on the fan after spraying to blow the 🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟 away. Searched for standing water today. Can't help my neighbors or leaves holding water. Supposed to rain again tomorrow.🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟 :th 🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟 lol

I know! I was also right that JoJo would use they/them pronouns he had both testes and an ovary. There is no mention of bursas, just yellow nodule tumors and nuerotropism. JoJo was almost a year old—I hatched them at the middle of February last year, but he hasn’t been normal since about 16 weeks. He was a really sweet bird that got weirder and weirder, but never seemed to be sick. Just strange. He only crowed a few times at about 8 months, he always ate but never really got solidly built like Spider. I wasn’t sure what to do with him because I was pretty sure there was something wrong but he never presented as sick other than his strange chicken behaviors. No one picked on him either.

As for Nohope, he is really strong and can launch himself right out of his box or your arms…but he can’t walk. His legs are fully functional though. He uses them and his wings when he wants to be near me or needs to change position. He basically falls forward like he’s too heavy when he tries walking. It’s really weird. But he has a healthy appetite, drinks his water…and today I let him get some sun and eat some grass. He’s not emaciated like JoJo, but he’s lost some weight. He really loves French fries and bread 😆 And he ate two eggs with Greek yogurt, herbs, poultry cell, and corn meal in them plus a bunch of his regular food. His comb shows occasional signs he’s lacking full oxygenation which I’m sure is indicative of growing tumors 😢 but it’s just so slow and abnormal in its presentation.

I will look up that other crazy long named virus too, I’m unfamiliar with it! I’m already preparing to lose my other birds that are double recessive like my white d’Anver Oliver and the new bobtails I acquired :-( Breeders don’t always vaccinate so I’m sure they aren’t and apparently bobtail coloration is recessive white with select albinism…which just sounds like weak genetics :-( Maybe I’ll get lucky and they are stronger than I think, but it’s better for me to prepare for the worst. Ugh, it’s so depressing and makes me feel like a terrible failure as a chicken mom 😢😢
Did JoJo ever exhibit signs of paralysis, as you'd expect with classic presentation of Mareks? Just wondering as 16 weeks of age onwards is when Lymphoid Leukosis tends to affect birds.
Fascinating that he was an hermaphrodite. A special bird in more ways than one!
I often wonder about Penelope. She has definite male traits (that cocky comb and quite long pointy, hackle feathers) and often disciplines the other hens in the same way as a roo would. She has been known to mate with them (I don't read too much into that as I know it can be a dominance thing). She also crows exactly like Ferdy, a proper crow not just a crow-like bellow as Gladys does. She's always been a bit odd and I was convinced for a few weeks after she hatched she could be a slow developing roo.

Nohope looks so handsome and content. You wouldn't think he had much wrong with him at all! From what you describe he's obviously got some nerve issue - idiopathic polyneuritis??? - but certainly not classic Mareks symptoms. Could he possibly have some sort of brain injury? Or even something like vertigo? Sounds daft, I know. Does the poultry cell have riboflavin, vit E and selenium in it?
There's no possibility of heavy metal toxicity, is there? No lead shot lying around, contaminated water etc? Sure you've already considered all this but it could be that you're dealing with Mareks in the flock and something else with Nohope? Having said that, Mareks isn't always fatal but not usually after the bird suffers paresis. The viscera and nerve sheaths are too compromised by then.
I didn't know a purple comb could be indicative of tumour formation! That's really interesting. I always thought it was low blood oxygenation, poor circulation or even cold air temperatures.

Yall...I've searched on here but can't find it
So Lizzy's crop is not full just now at 6:30pm... not even as full as it was last night.
What does that mean? I know she's eating.
And 'm not sure if more is going on wirh others or not. Stormie was making a coughing sound ever few seconds and breathing with beak open this morning. But I had to go get my grandson so wasn't able to keep watching her for long.
Then I noticed yesterday Joey was enjoying a good dust bath and when he got up to get out he could barely walk! His legs looked all weak and almost like he was gonna fall with each step...he shook a few times and then finally got back to normal.
Then Daisy did similar but nothing as bad as what Joey did.
I've heard a few more sneezing off and on but nothing as constant as Stormie's coughing this morning. Then she seemed fine the rest of the day?
I'm so confused.

@kurby22 you have some gorgeous babies and you are doing well with them all! I pray they continue to do as well as they are. Idk how you do it but you are!!!

@TropicalBabies congratulations on the funds for more felines!!! I didn't realize you closed your flock. But after this week I've had I can definitely understand! Much more to the story but I'll save that for another time.

@ChicksnMore hang in there...glad yall weren't in an accident!
Think I'd dose the entire flock with the Tylan you have until you can get an alternative I agree with ChicksnMore though. Any of the broad spectrum antibiotics are better if you don't know what the infection is. You can also try doxycycline and oxytetracycline.
Are they yawning excessively as well as coughing?
Once, Ferdy inhaled a small seed and coughed and sneezed for a good few minutes until it cleared. I thought he was going to choke to death!
I'd have suggested that Joey had temporarily trapped his sciatic nerve but if Daisy did it too, that sounds unlikely! I'd just keep an eye on the pair of them for now.

Last edited:
Tylan 50... in powder
I have the injection Tylan50. But was told on the ER thread to give it orally rather than as injection.
Poultry DVM and their symptom checker, and Mikes Falconry helps by listing what the medication attempts to treat
I'll Google these - are they websites?
Good to have a chicken medicine chest. That way the emergencies are handled much easier.
I have quite a few things on hand but more basic stuff than antibiotics I guess. And more baby chick stuff than adult stuff as I am a chick-a-holic? Lol?
But I'm trying really hard to NOT hatch for a while...I've only made it 15 weeks! Ugh
Are they yawning excessively as well as coughing?
Not that I've noticed. Lizzy isnt...she opens beak.couple times wide but I thought that means they are adjusting their crop like they all do. Cuz from time to time they have always done that. But not excessively.
I'd have suggested that Joey had temporarily trapped his sciatic nerve but if Daisy did it too, that sounds unlikely! I'd just keep an eye on the pair of them for now.
His was really bad...Daisy not so much. He did cram himself in the dust bath with 3 others already in there.

Thank yall so much for putting up with my many questions!

Oh and @TropicalBabies the mosquitoes are bad for chickens cuz of fowl pox right?

Last edited:
I'll Google these - are they websites?
Yes, Poultry DVM is sort of like WebMD for poultry (http://www.poultrydvm.com/), and Mike's Falconry simply lists the types of illnesses certain meds are best for so you know which meds to select. He is able to sell them because Pigeon and Falconry supplies are not regulated under the agriculture rules that chickens are. Not many folks eat pigeon or hawk, so they are less restrictive.

Oh and @TropicalBabies the mosquitoes are bad for chickens cuz of fowl pox right?
Mine have all had fowl pox and recovered, so thank goodness the mosquitos are just annoying now... really REALLY annoying. If nothing else the chooks are not getting good sleep and look all bedraggled. My husband makes an awesome fly repellent out of vinegar and infusion oils. Thinking I should broadcast spray that in run pre-dusk. The trade winds are supposed to kick into high gear so hopefully it will blow a bunch away 👍👍 make them fish food 🐟

Mine have all had fowl pox and recovered, so thank goodness the mosquitos are just annoying now... really REALLY annoying. If nothing else the chooks are not getting good sleep and look all bedraggled. My husband makes an awesome fly repellent out of vinegar and infusion oils. Thinking I should broadcast spray that in run pre-dusk. The trade winds are supposed to kick into high gear so hopefully it will blow a bunch away 👍👍 make them fish food 🐟
So is fowl pox something they only can get once?

Back
Top Bottom