What did you do with your flock today?

have the injection Tylan50. But was told on the ER thread to give it orally rather than as injection.
Tylan 50 is a good thing. I give orally and it does the trick so never had to go to anything else cept with Hope's eye infection, I used the Terramycin ointment cuz it was a throw everything at her kind of thing lol. Total movie. Well, she sure has turned into a bossy one eyed chicken lol. Too funny to see her confidence ♡♡♡

So is fowl pox something they only can get once?
I do believe there are a few strains but they can only get one strain once in their lives. Mine have never gotten any pox twice and many cases- like the last cases with my little-littles, it has been so mild I hardly noticed and they had a really fast recovery. I'm hoping someone else (@Shetland lover ) can clarify a little better ♡. I can only speak to my experience.

Did JoJo ever exhibit signs of paralysis, as you'd expect with classic presentation of Mareks? Just wondering as 16 weeks of age onwards is when Lymphoid Leukosis tends to affect birds.
Fascinating that he was an hermaphrodite. A special bird in more ways than one!
I often wonder about Penelope. She has definite male traits (that cocky comb and quite long pointy, hackle feathers) and often disciplines the other hens in the same way as a roo would. She has been known to mate with them (I don't read too much into that as I know it can be a dominance thing). She also crows exactly like Ferdy, a proper crow not just a crow-like bellow as Gladys does. She's always been a bit odd and I was convinced for a few weeks after she hatched she could be a slow developing roo.

Nohope looks so handsome and content. You wouldn't think he had much wrong with him at all! From what you describe he's obviously got some nerve issue - idiopathic polyneuritis??? - but certainly not classic Mareks symptoms. Could he possibly have some sort of brain injury? Or even something like vertigo? Sounds daft, I know. Does the poultry cell have riboflavin, vit E and selenium in it?
There's no possibility of heavy metal toxicity, is there? No lead shot lying around, contaminated water etc? Sure you've already considered all this but it could be that you're dealing with Mareks in the flock and something else with Nohope? Having said that, Mareks isn't always fatal but not usually after the bird suffers paresis. The viscera and nerve sheaths are too compromised by then.
I didn't know a purple comb could be indicative of tumour formation! That's really interesting. I always thought it was low blood oxygenation, poor circulation or even cold air temperatures.
He always walked weirdly like he was just a teensy bit drunk, but that was from about 12 weeks on. Paralysis didn't happen until maybe 1-2 days before death--whereas Asha and Nohope and two other Polish roosters presented more like Nohope. They all lived long past their ability to use their legs and my one Polish rooster had even started walking again right before he died. The Polish pullets got sick, emaciated, paralysis and then died within days of looking sick. I would have believed Mareks if everyone had presented like the Polish pullets did...but when Axle my Polish rooster got progressively better with vitamins and time I stopped thinking that is what it was because I had not found anything that said they could improve that way!

Nohope had pretty bad thrush which I was able to fix with meds, I gave him at least a week's worth of activated charcoal in case it was toxins of some sort...but despite being fully better in every other way he continued to progress to less and less use of his legs. My assumption with the purpling comb is that his tumors are growing in his lungs and therefore the oxygenation and breathing is getting more difficult. I could be wrong on that though. Every now and again he will gasp for air like he's got something caught in his throat but really it's just gasping for more oxygen I think. The comb is even flopping just slightly today so I'm guessing things are progressing :(

I did some reading but there is so much to catch up on. I hope that everyone’s chickens are doing better today and that things start looking up for everyone!

@kurby22 I’m so very sorry for the losses you have had. My heart is breaking for Nohope! I can’t imagine how hard this has been on you. Your in my thoughts!

@Gammas Bearded Babies i hope you can find something to help your babies! I have no advice and I don’t know how to help. I wish I could!

Today is 4 days of the eggs being in the incubator. So far all but 2 have very visible vines. The 2 may have vines but they could also just be really hard for me to see. I’m pretty excited about it! These three pics are different eggs but all Cemani’s

Attachments

• 9E8B98C8-32B3-4BF2-A9BD-9BEDC815ACE6.jpeg
    9E8B98C8-32B3-4BF2-A9BD-9BEDC815ACE6.jpeg
    61.8 KB · Views: 1
  • FB001D9E-C9C5-4815-A89B-1F8F9814A53D.jpeg
    FB001D9E-C9C5-4815-A89B-1F8F9814A53D.jpeg
    89 KB · Views: 1
  • 8C4CBD79-65E0-4BB9-8879-CE565388DE7F.jpeg
    8C4CBD79-65E0-4BB9-8879-CE565388DE7F.jpeg
    157.8 KB · Views: 1
@Gammas Bearded Babies how's the babies today?
Lizzy is seemingly ok this morning but it's cooler and rainy today so I thought best keep her in garage. She did eat but crop just not getting any bigger.
We had a couple hours of no rain n pop of sunshine so I took her out with others and she's acting like normal chicken. Her crop still seems next to none...I'll check her again and see how it is.
The others seem ok today.

@FBMcrazy8 thank you and excited for your babies you got developing!!!

Lizzy is seemingly ok this morning but it's cooler and rainy today so I thought best keep her in garage. She did eat but crop just not getting any bigger.
We had a couple hours of no rain n pop of sunshine so I took her out with others and she's acting like normal chicken. Her crop still seems next to none...I'll check her again and see how it is.

Thank you! I really hope Lizzy starts getting better. I wouldn’t know what would cause her crop to not get full if she is eating. I’m gonna have to do some looking around myself and see what I can’t come up with to maybe help.

How is her poop? Photos?

Thank you! I really hope Lizzy starts getting better. I wouldn’t know what would cause her crop to not get full if she is eating. I’m gonna have to do some looking around myself and see what I can’t come up with to maybe help.
I pray we may have turned a corner with Lizzy....she had a fuller crop tonight - thank God!!!
How is her poop? Photos?
Her poop has been nothing like what it was Sunday! In fact I haven't seen any runny poos in the run all week!

I'm hopeful this was just a little virus and we are back to normal...but I'll give Lizzy one more day to finish out the injection Tylan50 orally and I'm gonna weigh her in the morning to make sure she is no less than she was Sunday.

Back
Top Bottom