What did you do with your flock today?

Got to spend some quiet time watching the hamburgs today. They're starting to get more white in and seem to be settling in well.
20230528_181907.jpg
20230528_181900.jpg
20230528_181843.jpg
20230528_181846.jpg

That is incredible. Ferdy is a super hero ♡♡♡!!!!

@Maddcatter great job on the rescue ♡♡♡!!! And crispy cookies.

Welp. Chick did not make it to morning ☹️ . I thought it had a chance but guess I was wrong. Deep sigh***

Spent a large part of my day taking the string out of MANY, MANY feed bags. Held Hombre's rope as he got his feet worked on, back to bags, then set 4 traps for monster rat this eve. Iforgot to collect eggs again...

Hope won the broody battle. She is locked in the momma box with 8 eggs. Another deep sigh***
Rinse and repeat tomorrow.
Poor wee mite. It must have been beyond help when you picked it up. Was it's throat clogged with exudate from the pox?

Ferdy is the most altruistic animal I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. Studies have shown that chickens CAN demonstrate altruism but it's normally towards other flock members, not across species.

"Hope won the broody battle. She is locked in the momma box with 8 eggs. Another deep sigh***"

Bet she's so proud of herself! I've had enough of Penelope being broody so I've evicted her from the nest box. She spent most of yesterday hunkered down under the coop with just her head sticking out, keeping a beady eye on everyone.

You're so funny ☺️💕

It was probably wet as it must have been in his throat and it was heavily mutated. I hope @Shetland lover chimes in. I thought wet was when it went inside and dry was outside, and health of bird made a big difference. I say this cuz I have seen an outbreak look different on birds. My birds look minor but a less kept bird, feral or my little FTT Manono, it became horrid looking, and potentially lethal. That's why I pump birds with vitamins. FTT Manono survived with impaired vision, though, I still think she is perfect ♡.

Diphtheritic fowl pox (wet fowl pox) is a virus with a mortality rate of around 60% so the odds were against the little one from the get-go.
In the diphtheritic form of fowlpox, lesions develop on the mucous membranes of the mouth, esophagus, pharynx, larynx, and trachea. Occasionally, lesions are seen almost exclusively in one or more of these sites. Caseous (cheesy, looking, cream to yellow)patches firmly adherent to the mucosa of the larynx and mouth or proliferative masses may develop. Mouth lesions interfere with feeding. Tracheal lesions cause difficulty in respiration, which I suspect may have been the case here. It has even been observed on internal organs in particularly severe cases. Skin lesions of the type seen in dry pox may also be present.
It is spread chiefly by mosquitoes. A mosquito can infect 8 other chickens from one bite to a single infected chicken. It's able to do this as it can store the virus in it's salivary glands for some time. That's why the virus can be slow to spread in some flocks and why mosquito control is so important, as I'm sure Tropical Babies will agree.
There is no treatment, just supportive care. It may also help to give additional doses of vitamin A, as this can aid healing. Antibiotics may be necessary to control secondary infection. Wet pox has been complicated by the presence of staphylococcal bacteria, for example.
There is a vaccine available, which is given between 11-16 week's in the wing web of the bird. It is not always effective against wet pox. There is evidence to suggest that if less than 20% of your flock is infected, it is worth vaccinating whatever the age of the chickens to prevent spreading.
Birds which do recover remain carriers for life and symptoms may manifest at times of stress or other illness.

Diphtheritic fowl pox (wet fowl pox) is a virus with a mortality rate of around 60% so the odds were against the little one from the get-go.
In the diphtheritic form of fowlpox, lesions develop on the mucous membranes of the mouth, esophagus, pharynx, larynx, and trachea. Occasionally, lesions are seen almost exclusively in one or more of these sites. Caseous (cheesy, looking, cream to yellow)patches firmly adherent to the mucosa of the larynx and mouth or proliferative masses may develop. Mouth lesions interfere with feeding. Tracheal lesions cause difficulty in respiration, which I suspect may have been the case here. It has even been observed on internal organs in particularly severe cases. Skin lesions of the type seen in dry pox may also be present.
It is spread chiefly by mosquitoes. A mosquito can infect 8 other chickens from one bite to a single infected chicken. It's able to do this as it can store the virus in it's salivary glands for some time. That's why the virus can be slow to spread in some flocks and why mosquito control is so important, as I'm sure Tropical Babies will agree.
There is no treatment, just supportive care. It may also help to give additional doses of vitamin A, as this can aid healing. Antibiotics may be necessary to control secondary infection. Wet pox has been complicated by the presence of staphylococcal bacteria, for example.
There is a vaccine available, which is given between 11-16 week's in the wing web of the bird. It is not always effective against wet pox. There is evidence to suggest that if less than 20% of your flock is infected, it is worth vaccinating whatever the age of the chickens to prevent spreading.
Birds which do recover remain carriers for life and symptoms may manifest at times of stress or other illness.
You're always such a wealth of information ❤️ I'm so glad pox isn't too bad here.

This morning we're going to a memorial day parade that's done near by. It's the 50th anniversary for this parade so betting they try to make it special. Bringing the little street puppy with us as he needs socializing. He hasn't been here long buts decided he's my baby ands becoming reactive to strangers already. He's got a good dose of German shepherd in him and it shows behaviorally. He's been in all the coops with me ands learning well about how to behave around birds, even if they show fear sometimes. He's going to be a good dog.

Hubby said we should keep him as our current big dogs are getting old. I'm pleased. Our old girls are spending more and more time inside as they're aging. It'll be good to have a young flock protector. Let my old babies retire and enjoy some pampering.

Hope everyone's memorial day is a good one!

Well guys, the time has come. I had to say my last goodbye to Nohope this morning 😢😢 I don’t understand how he could go from starting to stand on his own and walk some with help to dead in two weeks time after 6 months of being sick…but here we are.

So R.I.P. Nohope, I will miss you so very very much. You were such a special boy and I will never forget you. 😢 I will miss your beautiful feathers you let me run my fingers through, the hugs you let me give you whenever I wanted them, how you would sit on me like you were a baby even though you weighed 8 lbs, how you yelled at me anytime I left your side, the gentle way you treated all the baby chicks that slept under your wings, and the way you LOVED French fries 😢💔😞 There will never be another like you. Your pain is gone now and I hope you get as many French fries as your heart desires. Goodbye sweet boy ❤️

View attachment 3511073
Oh @kurby22 I am so sorry he passed!!! He was so very special!!!

Happy Memorial day!

Thank you @Shetland lover ! I knew you would come through and simplify pox for us. I do have one further question, same virus just takes a different course or degree of infection? Like, can be dry pox on one chicken and wet pox on another. The wet, is basically the soft tissue it infects vs dry? Health of chicken can determine this? Seems to be my experience.

@ChicksnMore your babies and new coop are beautiful and terrific. Always an inspiration!!! Such good news on the pup and addition to your zoo! I'm sure he will be thrilled to be helpful to the family that has very much saved his life. I look forward to following along ♡

So, no rat yet... 🫤 thought last eves food combo of craisen with PB and then sunflower and pumpkin seeds stuck on it would be irresistible. Maybe too much activity or disruption with me yanking out tossed in bags and then putting the cleaned up versions back. Plus both food safes were pulled. I'll keep doors shut and traps set today and hope. 🤞🤞🤞
20230528_102958.jpg
20230528_131100.jpg

Almost pau. Only about 200 malt bags to go!!! My volunteers stay ready!
20230529_055806.jpg

After tables dry from having to clean wet poop off I will get started 🙄

THE GIRLS HAVE ARRIVED!! They LOVE the new coop! They love all the fresh green grass in there. Joan, our friend who brought us the chickens from their homestead, said that they don't have fresh green grass where the chickens were, so the girls went nuts over the fresh grass. We are going to keep them in the coop for a few days so that they know it's "home" before we open up the run to them.

Ok. I lied. I THOUGHT we were getting a Buff Orpington, ISA Brown, Black Copper Maran, and one called a Barnyard Mix. Turns out our friend brought FIVE chickens, but the breeds are not exactly what I thought. I'm working on their identities right now and will post an update when I get it figured out. LOL

Back
Top Bottom