What did you do with your flock today?

I didn't have much time for my birds today. I cleaned their water bucket and auto watering cup and refilled it with fresh water. They are really good at getting along because 7 of the 8 all shared drinks at the same time. The 8th one, I guess is at the bottom of the pecking order and just hung out in the background while the others drank. Also checked their food bucket, and it's about half full. Still has a couple weeks of feed left, I think. I'd like to switch them to pelletized feed. I think it would be cleaner than the chick crumbles.

Today was chicken project finale day for my kids and the Poultry Project 4-H group! I’m exhausted but it was a good day! My 4 poultry kids did really well! Two of the kids (the not mine two) won ribbons in Novice Showmanship out of about 12 kids. They give out ribbons for 1-5th place and they got 4th and 5th. Proud coach! 😍 My son got a Participation ribbon for Primary Showmanship (no one ribbons) and Aria was in a class of 23 kids ages 9-13…so she did super well but no ribbon! The tiny dinos we got as Dylan’s show birds got a third, a first and the rooster boy got Best Modern Game bantam! That meant he went to Champion row and considered for Best in Show—but a bantam white leghorn got it—boo! Ruby is recovering from a rooster fight and Jager broke his sickle feathers…so they only placed second in their classes and the new boy George the bobtail got 3rd.

I never thought I’d say this…but I’m looking forward to the summer when things slow down and I get some weekends back! The past month I’ve seen my backyard gen pop flocks of chickens maybe 2-3 times total 😫 I miss them!

Anywho, so very tired but wanted to share 😍 Keep falling asleep typing haha!
Hearty congratulations and great year for all, even if they didn't ribbon, I'm sure much was learned in the process. Take a well deserved rest, enjoy your flock more, soon. Thanks for sharing!

I think chickens are way smarter than we give them credit for. In the past, the feral hens, I believe, have asked me to help their young. I firmly belive this from circumstance and behavior.
This eve, DH and I were washing vehicles and I noticed the big feral flock walking across the road to the yard across the street. Then one of the littles, about 2 months old by my guess, stopped and started walking towards me. I don't feed this flock. I had the hose and squirted towards it so it would get out of the road and run back and keep up with its flock. It did for a second but then started walking back towards me Again.
Some young girls were riding their bikes and stopped and picked it up but set it down because it had pox. I asked them to help me catch it, now it was scared, i would care for it. So they did and now it is in my hospital.View attachment 3519654View attachment 3519655View attachment 3519657
Poor little guy. On vitamins, antibiotic and soft food. Got the puss cleaned out from its eye and flushed it and checked for bugs. Currently roosting on a branch I provided, calm as can be. Welp. The worst is over for it, I do believe.
You are a wonderful, caring, nurse practioner of all creatures big and small. Hope he gets well soon with your TLC.

@Smokerbill , what kind of feeder do you have? If a gravity feeder then you can put a larger dish, usually a large plant saucer under it and it will collect the crumble they knock out and give you MUCH less waste. Especially when they are at their goofy teenage, play with food age. If you go with a crumble, Nutrena has a terrific Nuture Right pellet that is not too huge, more just the right size.
31854.jpeg

Last edited:
I spent a couple hours with my little chickens, sprawled out in my camping recliner. I let them do their free ranging and waited until they all felt it was time to go back into the run where the roost.

At 8:58 PM the last one jumped back in through the run door.

It was fun watching them. A crow flew over, one didi the warning call and they all found shelter. It's cool that they have an innate awareness of how to react to flying predators.
More fun will be coming your way, stay tuned to channel CHKN! Same cluck time, same cluck station.

Back
Top Bottom