What did you do with your flock today?

Happy Memorial day!

Thank you @Shetland lover ! I knew you would come through and simplify pox for us. I do have one further question, same virus just takes a different course or degree of infection? Like, can be dry pox on one chicken and wet pox on another. The wet, is basically the soft tissue it infects vs dry? Health of chicken can determine this? Seems to be my experience.

@ChicksnMore your babies and new coop are beautiful and terrific. Always an inspiration!!! Such good news on the pup and addition to your zoo! I'm sure he will be thrilled to be helpful to the family that has very much saved his life. I look forward to following along ♡
Sorry for the late reply. Busy couple of days!
Basically, yes, it's the same virus which causes both types and, yes the diphtheritic form affects soft, internal tissue whereas the dry - or cutaneous form - tends to affect the skin in unfeathered areas. There is a third form which combines both the wet and dry forms concurrently and is occasionally referred to septicemic. There are several factors which may determine how the virus manifests, the virulence of the viral strain and host susceptibility being chief amongst them. So, yes, the overall health of the individual chicken matters a great deal.

I had some strawberries in the freezer from last year and a browning banana. It’s hit 80 here a couple times so I blended them up, froze them into ice cubes and gave them to my girls to help cool off. They seemed to love them. View attachment 3519942
Hello, fellow Evergreener! Noticed you are rather new here. Welcome, so glad you've joined the best community around.:welcome

Well, it was super-Ferdy to the rescue again today. I was sat at the dining room table, next to the window and heard a soft thud. Next thing I know, Ferdy comes racing in to me with a tiny wren IN HIS BEAK!!! He dropped it at my feet and started making his 'the sky is falling in' panicked sounds. I picked it up, thinking it didn't look great but it soon came round in the warmth of my hands. In the meantime, Ferdy was perched on my shoulder, watching proceedings intently.
I took it outside and set it free. Ferdy was obviously happy with the result as he made his super happy noise. He sounds just like an old-fashioned whistling kettle!
Extra treats for Ferdy tonight, methinks 😂
What a smart Ferdy you have. He knows who to get help from.

That is incredible. Ferdy is a super hero ♡♡♡!!!!

@Maddcatter great job on the rescue ♡♡♡!!! And crispy cookies.

Welp. Chick did not make it to morning ☹️ . I thought it had a chance but guess I was wrong. Deep sigh***

Spent a large part of my day taking the string out of MANY, MANY feed bags. Held Hombre's rope as he got his feet worked on, back to bags, then set 4 traps for monster rat this eve. Iforgot to collect eggs again...

Hope won the broody battle. She is locked in the momma box with 8 eggs. Another deep sigh***
Rinse and repeat tomorrow.
You are such a busy, busy lady with never ending patients and challenges. So many bags! 8 more chicks to find homes for? Chicken math strikes again.

Well, we are supposed to get our new chickens today. This is our first time having chickens. We finished the coop yesterday in the rain, and now we're ready to have them delivered. However, it's STILL raining today, and has been all day long. So, I'm not sure how excited our friend is about going out into the pouring rain to try to herd a bunch of chickens and bring them over to us. It's all good, though. We are super excited to be getting them! We are getting four of them to start. Here are some photos of the coop we finished yesterday.

View attachment 3521174

View attachment 3521175

View attachment 3521176

View attachment 3521177
I had to take a magnified look at Sasquatch :eek: Have fun learning as they grow on you.

Been a busy few days! Yesterday we spent all evening cleaning out coops and spraying the coops and the chickens with Elector PSP because my daughter found bugs in Oliver. I also had to finish shoring up the big coop from the rats. Sighhh. They have completely eaten away the horse stall mat I used originally :-( So I screwed metal plates along the base, laid the cloth, covered the cloth with pavers and covered the pavers with new shavings. Then tonight, we cleaned out my scraps coop and its run, sprayed it down with Elector PSP, refilled feeders and waters….and them we moved out the teenage babies! So nice to get them outside ❤️

Well, last eve we lost mom. She had a terrific life, loved and was loved. RIP Bella ♥︎

After conquering the bag disaster yesterday, I was proud and tired. Saved sewing my special order bag for today and it was not as much of a pain as I thought it could be. I had worked it out in my head for days while de-stringing, lol, and it came together nicely and quickly. Despite you know who.
View attachment 3523916
Scrubbed waterers, filled feeders early as I knew today would be a different day. Had horse duty among a few extra chores while DH worked on the things he needed to.

Got new bulbs so our zapper is back in action.

Another Lani went broody, so she is in Jail. Hope is still happily and crazily sitting on eggs in the broody coop. Girls gave me 16 eggs today. All is well with the flock. Mazie is happier because of antibiotics and spa treatments 👍👍👍.
Made soup for a friend so chooks got bone meat to chew on for their snack.

No rat yet. Forgot to add cat food like @kurby22 suggested. Tonight I will try that one. Not sure if rat has moved on?? Nothing else to eat in the shop. Maybe it already has a stash so is good for awhile? 🙄🙄🙄 These things, i don't know, but I hope to find out.
So sorry for your loss. You knew it would happen one day, and losing a loved one is never easy. Deep condolences to DH.

I'm amazed you do staggered hatches in the Rcom. I don't have that courage but not a bad idea at all ♡♡♡
I still don't have my cabinet incubator hooked up. Course, still have not started shop clean, other than me organizing my bags 🤣🤣 but no need as I am not hatching eggs for a long while, right...? (except Hope 🙄)

My favorite feedstore is still not bringing chicks in because they buy from Ideal. Not that it matters to me 🤣🤣🤣 But that gives us a domestic chick shortage that I am not going to care about right now.
I'm amazed you do staggered hatches in the Rcom. I don't have that courage but not a bad idea at all ♡♡♡
I still don't have my cabinet incubator hooked up. Course, still have not started shop clean, other than me organizing my bags 🤣🤣 but no need as I am not hatching eggs for a long while, right...? (except Hope 🙄)

My favorite feedstore is still not bringing chicks in because they buy from Ideal. Not that it matters to me 🤣🤣🤣 But that gives us a domestic chick shortage that I am not going to care about right now.
Hope and now Lani is probably why you don't need to hook up the incubator. Your girls could relieve some of the shortage. I do know there is not a chicken shortage, though. Ferals everywhere you look.

Back
Top Bottom