What did you do with your flock today?

I’m just watching Lloyd Christmas and his girls trying to stuff themselves in one hole 😂

Also waiting for my cemani Cleopatra to hatch her kids. Just saw a couple pips and heard some cheeping- how exciting 🖤
:jumpy
IMG_6174.jpeg

I ordered a cheap bird bath heater yesterday that I can drop into the chicken waterer to keep it from freezing. It was just a little over $12 on Amazon, 50% off, so I figured it was worth a try. It'll be a lot easier than trying to rig something up with a light bulb. Probably safer, too.

One of my chickens had a bunch of dried poo stuck to her butt feathers so I gave her a trim job this morning, a first for me.

We used to have a moluccan cockatoo determined to chew electric cords. Had to watch her like a hawk whenever she had free time indoors. And a bottle fed kitty that grew up in love with chewing computer cords. Think something about them reminded her of her baby bottle.
Makes me grateful for non-chewing chickens! Though they still find ways to get in trouble don't they? 😂
One of my Dominique chicks (Naomi) got herself wedged in a tight spot, upside-down. It must have been hours before I noticed. I cradled her for a little, then put her in a shelter to recuperate. By the next day she was fine, but had me worried for a bit.
IMG_20230522_202042412~2.jpg

IMG_20230522_202658096~2.jpg

One of my Dominique chicks (Naomi) got herself wedged in a tight spot, upside-down. It must have been hours before I noticed. I cradled her for a little, then put her in a shelter to recuperate. By the next day she was fine, but had me worried for a bit.
View attachment 3697328
View attachment 3697329
Poor baby looks exhausted. Really good catch finding her!

I broke down today and ordered a shock training collar for Goose puppy. He's not totally deaf but pretty close to it. I'm getting frustrated from trying to whistle loud enough for him to hear. Sometimes I hit the right note, and other times I have to walk over and tap him and feel bad when he jumps half out of his skin.

So going to try a waterproof, rechargeable collar that can vibrate as well as shock. I'm going to try vibrate means come to me and the lowest shock means stop and look to me for directions. Hes picking up hand signals really well, but sometimes I need to get his attention from a distance and he just can't hear.

I've never used one of these, but it's the only thing I could think of at this point. Any one worked with a deaf animal before?

Most everything went well with the kids today. One minor mishap. When we went out to close coop doors tonight our white giants were roosting on top of their coop because their door was closed. We were able to get that fixed with a flashlight and a 2x4. Now they are all on their correct roosting spots acting like the ladies they are. Not sure how it got closed other than a wind gust somehow did it which is most unusual for the way it gets braced open when they get let out of a morning. I do love working with the white giant pullets that are soon to be hens. They can just be so sweet when I hold one or put my cheek up next to then and then they sing a little diddy of special song for me.

Back
Top Bottom