What did you do with your flock today?

I let a couple dwarfs hatch babies this year. They're so happy...even though I shined light on them so I could see 😂♥️
1000010125.jpg

I have heard the same thing here on BYC. There is someone who lets her chicks out with the flock at 4 weeks. Wish I could remember who, so you could ask her about it.

I raise mine in the coop. They are never in the house. But I have a nice section for them, separate from the flock, but in view of the flock, with a sweeter heater and plenty of space to run around. They were 4 weeks just yesterday and they are in the outside portion of the coop for the first time today. We'll let them get used to that before they are able to go into the big run with the big girls. There is a little door on their area we can open for just them to slip through. As long as they have an escape hatch, they should be fine with the flock very soon. They are definitely having a fun day today.
Sounds like you have a sweet setup. I would definitely prefer that. My friend gave me her brooder, as she is giving up having chickens so she can travel more. No more plastic totes. This brooder is engineered well, has clear sides so now the girls have gotten used to us and don't run everytime someone approaches. I have the lamp just sitting on top of the very thick hardware cloth on the top. The solid bottom is removable, so if wanted, we can just use the top on the grass or wherever, maybe even inside the coop with the big girls straight on the dirt floor.

My yard is deep in dead pine needles atm so I've decided to use them for nesting material instead of buying straw or wood shavings. I started out using straw, then switched to wood shavings because we had so much wet weather and it was easier to manage. The hens hated the change, so I suppose they'll be boycotting the coop tonite lol

Are those Sebrights? I've always wanted some of those but have never gotten around to it. Beautiful 😍
Yeah they are! The Goldens are not standard with their combs and yellow legs, but we love them regardless. We have one Golden boy and a breeding pair of Silvers that seem to be much more aligned with the standard, which is exciting. Unsure if we are going to do anything about it other than look at all of our pretty birds.

I would recommend them! They are definitely standoff-ish compared to Australorps, but they still want to hang out around you. We have one who is very, VERY vocal about everything. They also do really like stretching their beautiful wings.

Back
Top Bottom