What did you do with your flock today?

There was chaos in the nest box this morning. The four hens kind of fit in it but they were competing over who got to be the one on top of the eggs. Do all hens love the feeling of eggs under their breasts like mine do?

In spite of the packed nest, no eggs were broken, although one hen missed and laid her egg over the front edge of the box and onto the run floor.

View attachment 3809568
Is this what's known as a cackle of hens?

Now that I'm almost back to normal and can get up and down stairs, took a field trip out to see the girls and beebies, who have gotten quite big since last week. They are 7 weeks today, and have been out there for 3, so decided to open the door and let them out into the yard. Well, of course, the big girls barge their way in and start bossing the littles, going to eat their feed. I removed the food for a time. Only a couple of the littles came out for a short time, and got scared and ran back in.
I added another roosting pole for the littles.
Then noticed Onyx had messy looking fluff, and the poop under her roost looked abnormal. She hadn't laid in a few days as well. Decided to give all of them Valbazen, since it's been awhile.
I think when the big girls finish off their layer pellets, I'll switch back to all flock. Then maybe they won't want to eat the little's food, or will they? At that time, I will remove the barrier for final integration. I'll try to get some pics soon.

Now that I'm almost back to normal and can get up and down stairs, took a field trip out to see the girls and beebies, who have gotten quite big since last week. They are 7 weeks today, and have been out there for 3, so decided to open the door and let them out into the yard. Well, of course, the big girls barge their way in and start bossing the littles, going to eat their feed. I removed the food for a time. Only a couple of the littles came out for a short time, and got scared and ran back in.
I added another roosting pole for the littles.
Then noticed Onyx had messy looking fluff, and the poop under her roost looked abnormal. She hadn't laid in a few days as well. Decided to give all of them Valbazen, since it's been awhile.
I think when the big girls finish off their layer pellets, I'll switch back to all flock. Then maybe they won't want to eat the little's food, or will they? At that time, I will remove the barrier for final integration. I'll try to get some pics soon.
I'm so glad you're starting to feel like yourself again! It's good to see you 😄

Mighty Mouse should be going home. Not a thing wrong with it...it just has weird/bad down. Had to get a picture before it goes home.
1000010614.jpg
I've never seen such a tiny chick! I'm still amazed every time I see it. I think it's a week old? Something like that. The other chicks one of mine that's a day old. My week old dwarfs are the same size as that dark chick and weigh 1-2 pounds full grown!

Sounds like Samuel was best replaced for sure. Roos that don't tidbit the hens aren't respectable roos. Joel was gorgeous 😍! Do you have a local source that you can choose a new bird from?
There's a place about an hour's drive from here, where I got my original chicks, but I was hoping to get a cockerel from another source, or even eggs. There aren't a lot of places to choose from, bantam Speckled Sussex are unusual.

I accidently let the chickens' water bucket run dry for a while yesterday. It's a 2 gallon bucket so it needs refilled every 3 or 4 days.

Anyway, I drilled a couple holes into one of my orange Home Depot buckets, installed a pair of auto fill cups onto and set it next to the other waterer.

Now the girls are set with plenty of water. And three water cups instead of one.

And I caught a mouse in a trap under the kitchen sink. I tossed it over the back deck railing, but when I was out watching the chickens I decided to give it to them and watch the show. LOL

The hen I expected would get it got it. She's very aggressive (and fast) when it comes to food. She kept control of the mouse the entire time, shaking it and biting it to loosen it up.

It was finally how she wanted it, and she gulped it down head first. Good chicken!!!

There's a place about an hour's drive from here, where I got my original chicks, but I was hoping to get a cockerel from another source, or even eggs. There aren't a lot of places to choose from, bantam Speckled Sussex are unusual.
I didn't even know they existed or I'd have probably gotten them instead of spangle oegb...now I'm in love with my spangles though. Little pieces of perfection....😂🥰
A different source is always good if you're lucky enough to find one. Hope you do! 🤞

Back
Top Bottom