What did you think of Kitt Kittredge?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by lengel, Jul 3, 2008.

1. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    Saw the movie tonight with DH. We couldn't help but do a double take whenever Kitt objected to keeping hens and selling eggs. I had no idea that this was such a social stigma during the great depression.

We really enjoyed the movie as did the elderly couple in the seats in front of us. They compared notes throughout the film. We took notes on what people did to survive.

What did you think?

2. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    i havent seen it but I want to. I love Abigail Breslin.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Who?

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I read about the "egg sellers" as an insult & had to chuckle to myself. If I had more land I'd sure be raising eggs to sell!!

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    I know a man who lived through the Depression. He said everybody raised chickens and sold eggs. The folk in the Colony mansions didnt do it, and Im sure, looked down on the more common folk.

But since everyone else but those sort of folks were poor, it turns out that everyone in town had chickens in their yard! Or a pig and most certainly a big garden. He told me, "We didnt have much, but we had grits and eggs."

You could walk down the main street of this town and buy live chickens to take home, he told me. One time when his family flock was stolen they only had to go one block to the main street to find them - hanging on the mercantile stores door in a tow sack, $2 for the lot of them.

Today, this too-full-of-itself town wouldnt admit to such things, certainly.

But back then it was common. I can see the stigma attached to it, too. Interesting....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by