What did you use as a nesting box???

leasmom

Songster
11 Years
May 25, 2008
I see how expensive nesting boxes are online and I only have five chickens right now, one died, and want at least four more but I need to know about nesting boxes and I don't have alot of money to spend to make one. So, what do you use?

I used plastic milk crates. Mine were true salvage items, accumulated over the years. You can also buy them for a dollar at any Dollar Store.

In the coop we used old dresser drawers we found on the curb. There's partitions in there somehow...but I don't know how he did that
idunno.gif

In my outdoor pen, we just built a 3-sided/closed top box from plywood so they have shelter from the rain and my bantys lay in there.

cool.png
I've made them out of old pallet's someone gave me. Just took the pallet's apart and cut boards down to size and nailed together, also I have a hen sitting in an old laundry basket full of hay. Look around your place and I bet you can figure something out. Good luck.
cool.png
PEACE

I made some out of scrap wood, made them all pretty and nice. Gave them to the chickens to use and guess who's using them? No one lol the chicken went broody on the floor of the coop lol. Oh well.......

I use milk crates also. They make cleaning a snap. Just pick up the crate take it to the cleaning area, knock out the poop and dirty material, place it back in it's spot and refill. What use to take me days to do I can do i a morning.

I use old kitchen drawers that I got at a salvage yard. They were super cheap, and they are super cute. I put 2nd hand baskets inside them from the good will (also inexpensive) and some straw. The chickens love them, but they are still too young to lay any eggs, so I don't know if they will work as nesting boxes!
wink.png

I built our first set of boxes out of scrap plywood. We recently added more hens and I started looking around for ideas to add more boxes, since I'm too lazy to build more. While browsing around Costco I discovered a set of shoe bins made of vinyl panels with heavy wire frames. They had two sizes. I chose the set with larger size boxes. Costco's price was under $30. To keep bedding in the boxes, I added two inch high peices of 1/4" plywood that clipped right into the connectors that hold the panels together. The hens started using them right away

I couldn't find the bins on the Costco site, so I searched and found a set with the smaller boxes, so you can get an idea of what I bought.

Shoe Bin Set

Doc

We have a Large 5 gallon bucket with a lid, I turned it upside cute a hole in the middle. The hole is about 1/3 up the bucket and is about 8 X 8. My girls are to young to lay so I guess I will see if they like it soon
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom