what did you use for fencing?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by norahsmommy, Jan 8, 2009.

1. norahsmommy

norahsmommy Out Of The Brooder

What type of fencing did you use for the run, and what did you use to cover the run. I am trying to price stuff out for our coop and run and I want to know what type of fencing works best. How tall is your run, and how tall was the fencing. And if you don't mind, about how much did it run you?

2. Orpingtonman

Orpingtonman Chillin' With My Peeps

I used chicken wire on the top of mine along with scrap galvanized mat fence. Around the sides i used the matt fence again. It's a little costly but its very durable against predators. I have 2 doors in my pens and they are about 65 inches tall if i remeber right. the whole run is about 65 inches tall, about 8 foot wide. Cost me over all about 100 dollars. I had some of the wood and supplies already here.

3. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I have always used the 1 inch woven wire that can be found in any home improvement store. I buy the three foot high and make the fence six feet high. I use 8 foot treated landscape timbers as my post and set two feet deep using quickcrete.
    My current run is over 10 years old and is holding up perfectly.
    I use what is called deer netting to cover the run. It too can be found in any home improvement store and the last time I bought it three years ago it was less then $10 for 100 feet. It is very easy to work with I attach it to the fence with zip ties and to the coop with plain old cup hooks. It works like a charm, it keeps the chickens in and airborne predators out. When it stretches due to time or weather it is very easy to re-stretch, simply re-stretch where the netting is attached to the coop at the cup hooks.
    The only disadvantage to the one inch woven wire is that it does not keep wild birds out or baby chicks in. I simply keep the chicken feed in the coop and other than then starling problem I have in the winter (I am working on that) the wild birds stay away as there is no reward for entering the coop.

4. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I use either 4' no climb horse fencing or 4' field wire fence, covered with chicken wire. A 100' roll of 4' no-climb was about $125 last year. It's very durable, more so than welded wire.

It will keep dogs out.

5. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I set 8 ft posts every 6 or 7 feet apart and fastened 4 foot high chain link fence with fencing staples. I got the fencing from a guy who was going out of deer farming.. I got it dirt cheap..

I do not cover the run.. most of my birds stay in.. some fly in and out, but as long as the majority stay in I don't mind.. I let them freerange most of the time anyhow..

6. 65browneyes

65browneyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    We had several 5' rolls of 2" chicken wire that we opted not to install in our metal building (the intent was the wire would be placed over the insulation to hold the insulation in--stays in fine without it). We went around the bottom with 1" chicken wire over the 2".

The top of the original run is covered in 2" wire, and the top of the 'expansion' run is covered temporarily with green plastic garden 'fencing'. If life ever slows down for a day for us, we'll cover the expansion with the 2" wire as well.

The expansion was built to keep chickens in, but not predator proof. We always lock the expansion at night so the girls can go out there until we open it up in the morning.

7. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i have 6 foot tall fencing the welded wire type from lowes.i have 4 50 ft rolls and about 20 metal posts . i have about 350.00 dollars in to my run its huge the chickens have plenty of room to roam. and i dont use anything for the top they dont fly out and havent had any hawk problems .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by