What do chicks do when to hot?

When you have a room with an ambient temp of 83 degrees - and the brooder probably being eve warmer than that assuming it is enclosed -I think it is going be hard managing the temp in the brooder given the little bit of wiggle room you have between the preferred temp for their age and the ambient temp.

I think you should start with a thermometer on the bedding both in the unheated areas, and under the plate. See what you are actually working with.
Just a big. Cardboard box. Pictures attached, I have the over head tan going now in the center of the room which is right over the end of the brooder opposite the plate. I have raised the front legs even more and the chicks are now going under it. A fee prep their heads out the side. I have 5 chicks that were the most critical in a large plastic tub and my old verses brooder, they are going under it. It’s been 4 hrs and everyone I revived had not slipped back. Going in every hr and using the syringe and putting a few drops of water yolk and bit of molassses slurry at the side edge of beak and they drink

Attachments

• 3B54A93C-F8C4-4027-98CC-DDF3EFC78C0B.jpeg
    3B54A93C-F8C4-4027-98CC-DDF3EFC78C0B.jpeg
    709.3 KB · Views: 7
And.... I think it is way hotter in that thing than OP believes it to be and the information presented is limited and missing key points, which is going to lead to poor suggestions all around and dead chicks.

Stressful as heck!

@Newchickey have you raised many chicks previously? Are you aware of what their behaviors under comfortable temps? Not attempting to belittle what you may know, just trying to reset it here.
Yes this is not my first rodeo, I have never experienced this. Middle of summer the chicks have always been under the brooder plate. Lost a few but always knew why. This sudden death is new to me, at 4 days old 83 degrees should be comfortable to them shouldn’t it? I mean I have had them in hotter weather and brooder plate

And?

Suggested Temperatures are a guideline.

Behavior is key. Not using the brooder plate, 83 room temperature is hot!

Would be nice if the OP can provide photos of the brooder and chicks.

I saw the other thread, that issue is being addressed.

Attachments

• 5C9AA727-F3EF-4D58-90F3-1D3EB3644431.jpeg
    5C9AA727-F3EF-4D58-90F3-1D3EB3644431.jpeg
    709.3 KB · Views: 7
There brooder should be between 90-95 farenheit. What are you feeding them?
Chick starter feed, I will have to try and find something to get temp. Maybe my steak thermometer will register ambient. They got grow gel the day I got them, everyone found the water and started eating after that

Yes this is not my first rodeo, I have never experienced this. Middle of summer the chicks have always been under the brooder plate. Lost a few but always knew why. This sudden death is new to me, at 4 days old 83 degrees should be comfortable to them shouldn’t it? I mean I have had them in hotter weather and brooder plate
I think @madcatter initial advice and @wyorps reiteration are the best. Forget the temp entirely, just watch their behavior.

Chick starter feed, I will have to try and find something to get temp. Maybe my steak thermometer will register ambient. They got grow gel the day I got them, everyone found the water and started eating after that
I also find it a little odd that they would be dying from the heat like that. 84 for 4 day old chicks should be comfortable for them, espeially if they have a cool place to go. Let me know the temperature inside their container!

Back
Top Bottom