what do duck eggs look like??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cstanley, Feb 15, 2008.

1. cstanley

cstanley New Egg

Nov 8, 2007
    I have had 2 grayish pearl looking eggs. Rounder than my chicken eggs. I am wondering if that duck of minw finally layed. I thought the green egg was hers, but I am rethingking that now! Anybody have pictures/?? If she lays again I'll take a pic!

2. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Yes, I think more greyish white is right. Not green that I know of. What type of duck? Most ducks lay much larger eggs than chickens, but when they first start they could be about the size of a chicken's (or by a fluke even smaller).

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

My call duck eggs are smaller than a chicken egg and range from kind of a pearlish white to a very pale greenish/grey. They're more rounded on the ends than most of my chickens'.

4. deeszoo

deeszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Duck eggs have a more waxy look than chicken eggs, I think. Waxy is the best word I can come up with. They are not as solid looking, like you can almost see through the shell. Depending on the breed, and the duck, the colors can be white, green or blue for most breeds. The membranes are really tough, too. That is another way you can tell.

DeAnna

5. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Quote:That's a good description! You can scratch the waxy coating off the shell on mine. One of mine is laying white and one almost a grayish tint to it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by