What do I call this 6 week old cuckoo maran? Rizzo or Lisette?

That's quite a comb so that's saying "boy".

But he's as dark as a hen and a barred or cuckoo male who is pure for the barring *ought* to be a good deal lighter in color than his sisters.

(photo from the internet)
View attachment 3284075
It’s got me second guessing. Behavior is not dominant with its nest mate, an EE pullet. Will report back in a couple weeks.

Last edited:
Where did you get him and how sure are you that he's actually a Cuckoo Marans rather than, perhaps, an Olive Egger with Marans heritage (who could be single-barred rather than double-barred)?
He is a feed store baby so not hatchery direct so I suppose it’s possible

He's not a Marans with those yellow feet, unless that's a trick of the lighting or something. Marans have white or pinkish skin.

I'd wager he's a black sexlink male of some sort based on the dark barring and the yellow skin. At 6 weeks old with that much comb and wattle growth, he's definitely male.

He's not a Marans with those yellow feet, unless that's a trick of the lighting or something. Marans have white or pinkish skin.

I'd wager he's a black sexlink male of some sort based on the dark barring and the yellow skin. At 6 weeks old with that much comb and wattle growth, he's definitely male.
The lighting in house is very yellow but he has whitish legs with black wash on front. In practicality what matters most here is his demeanor. Good to the girls and us will be key. Handling him every chance I can.

On an interesting note, since we began calling him Rizzo vs Lissette, he is more attentive and follows us about. Updates to follow! Thank you chickie community for chiming in!

Back
Top Bottom