1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do I do about the non-pipped eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wjallen05, Feb 27, 2009.

1. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    I have 10 baby chicks that hatched yesterday and during the night. I have two more that are pipped, one that died half-way zipped (???), and the remaining 5 eggs aren't even pipped at all. Today is day 23. Last time I candeled (day 12 maybe) everyone was alive and well. I'm wondering why they aren't pipping? Does this usually happen? Should I wait another day or make a small crack in the air cell? (hate for them to be rotten.....?)

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Not sure I know unless they were in a cool spot in the bator and are just slow. I have two eggs on Day 23 as well. Usually, I dont allow them to go to this point, but I went on an errand this a.m. and when I returned, ready to take the eggs out, one was pipped. Why dont you leave them in till the end of the day, then check and see if they're alive in there? Certainly, you could pip a tiny hole in the aircell if you want, just to see if there is movement or sound.

3. Chickapooh23

Chickapooh23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Corning OH
    I think that I read that you are supposed to keep them until day 25. I have had one hatch on day 24. Breeders will tell you not to keep them because their chicks are likely to hatch late also and eventually you will have a long staggered hatch, but I'm a hobby chicken farmist (is that the feminine of farmer???) so I keep them until I am sure everyone who can come out is out.

I am on day 19 with my EE and getting very nervous. I am on day 6 of my buckeyes and I am collecting eggs again from my EE because my roo is getting too aggressive and I am not sure how much longer he is going to be with us. [​IMG]

Congrats on the 10 (and maybe +2) that have hatched.

If you decide to open the unpipped ones you may want to pick a well ventilated area. Just in case.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by