What do I do????? HELP?????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by theron, Dec 16, 2009.

1. theron

theron Theron's Fowl Farm

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    My chickens have been shaking there heads alot and have been yawning. Someone has suggested that it is gapeworm. What do I use to treat it? Please help???

2. HennyPennies2007

HennyPennies2007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    I have heard Ivermectin injectable, drops down the throat....Just did one myself and it seems fine.

3. theron

theron Theron's Fowl Farm

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    can i use wazine?

4. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Wazine will only kill roundworms.

Try a search for gapeworm.
    I believe Ivermectin and one other drug are effective against gapeworm. You may want to have the diagnosis confirmed by a vet before treating.

5. zowieyellowflame

zowieyellowflame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    I have seen my chickens do this when they are young and then it seemed to go away... completely. Maybe something to do with trying to clear their crop? Maybe not gape worm?[​IMG]

6. cobrien

cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    My vet prescribed Panacur for my chicken's gapeworm. Same broad spectrum wormer as used for dogs. I've read conflicting information on BYC on ivermectin, some have said it is not good for birds but others say they've used it with success. Since I know my trusted avian vet prescribed Panacur that is what I'd use. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by