what do I do if my chickens are going wild?

Wow! You guys are awesome! I have the space for a run on my coop, but we didn't think we needed to build it until the winter (we live in Wyoming). It won't take us long to build though, so I will get on it this weekend. They do have roosts in their coop, but they never sit on them? They like to huddle up in the corner.

Last night I couldn't catch them as they ran under the shed as soon as I went to get them, so I had to leave them out... I went to check on them at around 9:30, and they had all gone in their coop (which was awesome). Do most of your birds go to bed this late?

Lastly, it seems I need to get some lattice to fence off under the deck ect, if I do this, and they can go in their coop will they lay there? My friends academic advisor told me to put golf balls in the nest box and to take eggs away right away so they don't eat them.... does that sound about right?

Thanks so much for everything! I got my chickens this spring after we had to put my old dog to sleep... I was hoping they would be friendly as I am not ready for a new dog yet. It seems that treats and patience will make them come around! You guys have such great stories of loving, happy chickens!!!!

Quote:
Well depending on how old your hens are, they may not have figured out the roost yet. "It took my flock a long time to figure it out, even with me putting them on the roosts, they would still go to the ground at night."

The golf ball advice does work, you dont exactly have to get the eggs as soon as they hit the nest, but you will want to collect, at the least once a day. Watch your flocks laying habbits, some will lay in the morning and some throughout the day. But keep in mind, unless you get an egg eater, it wont hurt the eggs or the hens to skip a day of collecting eggs.

The longer it is light out the later your flock will stay up. My girls put themselves to bed at dusk, no matter what time of year. Once they are all in just go lock them up for the night.

Without having a run built, I wouldnt lock them up for longer than just the night, as you dont want any mutilation/caniblism "sp?" amungst your flock. But once you do get your run built, I would leave them locked in the coop/run for at least a few days, and then let them free range.

Your in the right place to ask questions. I have been a member here for a little over a month I think, and I have learned alot from other members. And remember there are no stupid or silly questions, if you dont know an answer, dont be afraid to ask.

Hope this helps, sorry it is so long.

Hi again,
Look's like you have found the right place to be for questions and comments...I Love this forum !!

I was curious, you said your bird's wont roost on the roost ? I would like to know how high off the ground you have the roost.
I had mine too high at first and they would not want to jump that high to get to them. I lowered them to about three feet off the ground with a 4x4 on cinder blocks in front. They jump on the block's then up on the roost. (and it gives them more exercise.)

They had four different roost and at different level's and for some reason, they like to be on the highest. I had to put them all at one level so they wouldn't fight so much for a spot. They are picky...LOCATION, LOCATION...

I never used golf ball's. They just started laying in the nesting box's as soon as I installed it inside the coop. Go figure !
I'am glad that they finally went in on their own. That's so cool.
I worry that you might loose a few if they're going in too late. My bird's are in way before dark. if your's are not, I would make sure I round them up.

We have racoons out at 7:30 in the evening around here. and Owls....BE CAREFUL !!!

My bird's are in a covered run that is connected to the coop so they go in on their own. I do have to put my Duck's in. They dont know the difference !
TTYL.

Their roost is about a foot off the ground. I have seen them on it many times, but they never sleep on it... go figure. I assume that as long as they are in their coop, wherever they want to sleep is fine?

Thanks again for all your help!

I have two that won't sleep on the roost, one cause she was technically a broiler, and the other cause she's raising 4 chicks right now and they sleep under her.

If you want them to sleep on the roost, at night after they are in their coop pick them up and place each one on the roost, it may take a while for them to start sleeping up there. I don't suppose it matters though whether they roost or not? you just don't want them sleeping in your nest boxes, then all your eggs will get dirty.

As long as their safe it really dosn't matter where they sleep, does it ?
smile.png

Here's an idea:

I only feed treats inside the coop. The door could be wide open, but all treats are distributed inside the coop only. That way, when I call them, they all come running inside. Sometimes I just give them the treats and walk away, sometimes I close the door. They never know what it's going to be. Works great especially when they are ranging and I need to leave and have to lock them up. So much easier than chasing them all over the yard with the broom...

And yes, I do the golf ball thing too. We call them "training wheels." If they get the wise idea to peck at them, nothing happens.

BTW, 9:30 feels a little late for chicken bedtime. Even in the city, lots of preds come out as the sun is going down - as early at 7 pm. Be careful. And you need to close up that shed space - they've figured out where to hide from you where you can't do much about it - sneaky girls.

Has anyone else ever noticed how chickens go through phases like kids? At first they are cute and cuddly. Then they go through an awkward stage and look funky. Next they start to hate you more and more, they run from you, and all but scream in anguish should you try to hold them and love them. Then one day they grow up and start laying and they become mature and friendly.

I've realized that every single batch of chicks I've ever raised has gone through these phases! So don't worry, even though it seems like they hate you at 2.5 months, pretty soon they won't! My laying hens practically mob me when I walk into their pen now, while the teenage chicks run away screaming, lol.

Back
Top Bottom