What do I do? Lethargic, diarrhea, not eating. HELP!

mom3

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 27, 2007
We got 6 babies the day after Easter. Not sure how old they are, but they all have little wings now. Well, all except one bard rock. (We got 3 RRR and 3 bard rocks). She looks puffy and fuzzy.

I let them out of the box to run and spread their wings. One BR just stood there. I got a closer look and this looks like the littlest one and still just a fuzz ball.

She stood still with her eyes closed. I put her in a different box, fed her some sugar water, and some yogurt, but she is still just sitting there. I just held her and she is breathing heavy and loud.

Do I keep her separate by herself? Can one stay alone?

We lost a grown RRR (1 of 2) on Easter Sunday and my 7yr old son got very depressed, hence the 6 new babies the next day. This lethargic one is his, of course. Now he is so bummed and down. He keeps saying his chick is going to DIE.

PLEASE HELP!! This little one cannot die!!

edited to add: The chick has loose, stringy, white diarrhea.

Last edited:
feel the crop for any lumps.

what all are you feeding?
giving vitamins?
what bedding?
what temperature are you keeping them? what sort of light?
could any feed have gotten wet and spoiled under the light?

did you ever notice any pink or red droppings?
or pastry tan?

does the chick eat?
is it handled a lot?
do you have any antibiotics or cocci meds?

Last edited:
is the starter you are feeding medicated? If not then you might be dealing with a case of cocci (do a search on cocci for more info on that)
The main danger for this chick is dehydration...you need to help her (time intensive) by dribbling water (with added electroytes>adding sugar is insufficient>go to the feed store and get electorolytes/vitamins .until then you can give a bit of pedialyte or childrens ORS in the water). Dehydration will kill your bird quicker than what is the original ailment so address this first.

Thanks.

She just died. I was holding her and she died.

Last edited:
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

So very sorry to hear that your sons little chick died.

Back
Top Bottom