What Do I Do Next???/

Discussion in 'Geese' started by echix, May 13, 2011.

1. echix

echix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    TEXAS
    Nanna is sitting on 14 eggs (some were stinky and had to go).

She is about 2-3 weeks along.

What do I need to do next - someone said to sprinkle the nest days before hatch. I think she started setting on the 24th of April. Easter actually.

Do I need to remove babies when they hatch or leave them in there with her?

..... I've been a chicken mom for 8 years, first time with geese!!

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    My one year old geese are sitting on the nest for the first time this year, so I am no expert. I have never heard of sprinkling the eggs on a nest before. That probably means that a lot of folks get goslings without sprinkling, but it probably wouldn't hurt. As I understand it, if you want the goose to raise the young then you leave them with her. She will probably stay on the nest and most eggs should hatch within a few days of each other. Maybe someone with more expertise will post, too...

3. marathonmultiplesmom

marathonmultiplesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Chehalis, WA
    Quote:Let nature take its course. The mom knows how to do everything. All you have to do is provide bathing water, drinking water and food. You can leave them with her, too. (good luck taking them away is more like it) [​IMG]

4. Goosehaven

Goosehaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    If Nanna is experienced its fine to leave the goslings with her. In inexperienced geese moms they don't always do what's right for the goslings survive. I have tried 2 years in a row to leave goslings in the next and I lose some everytime. Some were suffocated, others weren't kept warm enough. If in doubt you can take them from the nest and brood them somewhere for a few days. Thats what I do with mine now to assure I don't lose any unnecessarily. I don't have a problem taking the goslings from the nest. My hens just seem to understand what I'm doing. As far as sprinkling with water, I have never done that. The mothers bathe themselves in their drinking water and know instinctively to stand over the nest and preen themselves. Good luck with however you decide to proceed with your new babies [​IMG]

5. echix

echix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    TEXAS
    Thanks for all the good posts ---

I've read so much my brain is fried - eveyrone does their own thing and does things differently.

We're in Texas South of Houston and it is warm and dry (drought) here and I think I'm going to let her set them, hatch them and then hust put food / water in the pen/run for her and them and keep them all together in there for a while.

I have some more questions if anyone has any answers ----- please advise:

Do I leave the nest in there - does she keep getting in it with them?

It is kinda big and bulky hay - can goslings crawl up into it and out?

Do I put food by the nest/water for the goslings so when they hatch they can get it - it's grass in there, it's a coop on grass 1x2 wired and has a roof / cool and open but has area that is protected against rain/wind which is where her nest is --- it's about a 4x8 coop - she goes in and out now but I can close it up with them in it if I need to for a copule of days after hatch.

Does that sound like a good thing to do?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by