What do I do with a broody chicken

kmcdonou

Hatching
9 Years
Mar 2, 2010
We've had about dozen chickens for two years now and none of them has shown any interest in incubating eggs. That is, until recently, where one of our hens has been in this same corner for two days. I assume she is incubating eggs, but I don't know for sure. Should I move her to check? Is that ok?

If she is on eggs, what I do? Do I let her sit there until they hatch? Once they do hatch, what will the other chickens do? Are they going to peck them to death?

Any advice you can give would be appreciated.

First thing you need to do is pick her up and check her.....maybe she's injured, or sick, and hasn't actually gone broody.

If she has gone broody, and is sitting on eggs.....are the eggs fertile? do you want to hatch the eggs?

If the eggs are fertile, and you want her to hatch them.....make sure she has easy access to food and water; mark the eggs she's currently sitting on so you'll know if any other hens are making new deposits~~if they are, remove the new eggs.

Depending on where her nest is located, and the personalities of the other chickens in the flock, you may be able to leave the broody and her new hatchlings where they are. You're the only one who can judge that. My non-Silkie hens that have hatched eggs for me never had a problem defending and raising their new chicks amongst the rest of the flock.

Good luck

That's some good advice. Yes, if she can produce some chicks, we would be interested.

I'll follow your recommendation and mark the eggs.

Last edited:
Well to solve the problem completely you need to give the broody to me
thumbsup.gif
just joking But seriously if you don't want anymore chickens then I would not let her set. If you don't care for a few extras then why not. A far as the other chickens, yes they might pick on the, You might want to make a small and secure pen for the momma and babies. And yes you can check. She might be in a bad mood and peck you but thats part of it,

Back
Top Bottom