What do I do with her?

GemW

Chirping
May 17, 2023
Nebraska
I have one chick that had a really rough hatch and ended up with wry neck. Hers is positioned down so she looks like a hunchback basically, but she has otherwise been doing fine. She eats and drinks normally and runs around with the others. The chicks are all 6 weeks old now and we plan on culling our extra males at 8 weeks. We thought she probably needs to go with that batch. Except, she is smaller than the others and I'm not sure she would be worth it to butcher for meat because she's so small. We do want to get some hatching eggs once everyone starts laying a bit, and I know we don't want them from her. But it really seems pointless to cull her otherwise. She doesn't seem to have any quality of life issues other than she looks funky.

Should I just remove her for a bit while we collect our hatching eggs and then let her rejoin and live out her life until she maybe gets big enough to be worth it for the meat? Will she be able to produce eggs for eating? Or if I cull her just because she will never make full potential, what do I do with her?

This is a decision that you need to make. Wry neck quail can live a mostly normal life with a mostly normal lifespan. If you don't want to cull her and have a solution for knowing which eggs are hers so you don't breed her, there's no harm in letting her live out her life.

Back
Top Bottom