What do I do with my 10 infertile eggs that my hen has been setting on

farmerbrandy

Hatching
10 Years
Feb 24, 2009
hmm.png

My sweet little bantam hen, broody little thing, has been sitting on 10 eggs. I finally found her nest today. But, we don't have a rooster, so unless Mr. Mallard could have successfully fertilized her eggs (which it is my understanding that he can't) then I have 10 infertile eggs. I moved her from her nest because it wasn't in a good place and I want to reincorporate her into the "farm". So, anyway, I now have these eggs. I candled them (my first candling experience) and they look good to me, but do you think they're edible? I hate to throw out a bunch of perfectly good eggs, but I don't know how ong unwashed eggs last that are being sat on. Any ideas??

I appreciate any feedback... I actually wasn't even sure if this was the right thread to post in, but here it is. ;-)

I would boil them or scramble them up and feed them back to the chickens.
smile.png
Just chop them up first, so they don't know they're actually eggs...
tongue.png

hehe, chickens can and will eat darn near anything. They're omnivores. That's scientific talk for 'don't keel over in their run'.

I agree about feeding them to the flock, your hen probably kept them pretty warm for quite a while. just cook em up, little oil, no salt if you scramble em.
smile.png

yuckyuck.gif

Yup... they have eaten just about anything I put in their pen. Well, they didn't care for jalapeno peppers that found their way into the veggie pile.
tongue.png
They've even eaten bear meat... LOL!
lol.png

You just want to make sure you chop up the boiled eggs first... I've heard it can encourage them to eat freshly laid eggs.

Back
Top Bottom