What do I do with my 10 infertile eggs that my hen has been setting on

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by farmerbrandy, Feb 24, 2009.

1. farmerbrandy

farmerbrandy New Egg

Feb 24, 2009
    [​IMG]
    My sweet little bantam hen, broody little thing, has been sitting on 10 eggs. I finally found her nest today. But, we don't have a rooster, so unless Mr. Mallard could have successfully fertilized her eggs (which it is my understanding that he can't) then I have 10 infertile eggs. I moved her from her nest because it wasn't in a good place and I want to reincorporate her into the "farm". So, anyway, I now have these eggs. I candled them (my first candling experience) and they look good to me, but do you think they're edible? I hate to throw out a bunch of perfectly good eggs, but I don't know how ong unwashed eggs last that are being sat on. Any ideas??

I appreciate any feedback... I actually wasn't even sure if this was the right thread to post in, but here it is. ;-)

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I would boil them or scramble them up and feed them back to the chickens. [​IMG] Just chop them up first, so they don't know they're actually eggs... [​IMG]

3. farmerbrandy

farmerbrandy New Egg

Feb 24, 2009
    So they're not good to eat? I didn't know that chickens could eat eggs.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

hehe, chickens can and will eat darn near anything. They're omnivores. That's scientific talk for 'don't keel over in their run'.

I agree about feeding them to the flock, your hen probably kept them pretty warm for quite a while. just cook em up, little oil, no salt if you scramble em. [​IMG]

5. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    [​IMG]

Yup... they have eaten just about anything I put in their pen. Well, they didn't care for jalapeno peppers that found their way into the veggie pile. [​IMG] They've even eaten bear meat... LOL! [​IMG]
    You just want to make sure you chop up the boiled eggs first... I've heard it can encourage them to eat freshly laid eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by