what do I do with spare broody hen!

babychickens321

Songster
Oct 17, 2021
London England
Both of our hens went broody at around the same time and at the start, only one of them was actually sitting on eggs. we didn't let the other one because we didn't have eggs BUT a few days later our friend gave us 2 eggs to hatch under her so we put the eggs under her.
Now our first broody's babies hatched a week ago and they're doing fine apart from one which is so much tinier than the other one and also very slow in developing but that's another story but anyway our second broody has been broody for around 4 weeks.
I think the eggs are dead or something, I did candle them yesterday and on one it looked fully developed and there was a giant air sac but STILL there was no pip and the other one's veins are still showing through the light and it doesn't look ready to hatch even though it should be. I doubt either of them will hatch but I feel really bad for the hen because she looks SO SAD when she sees the other one walking around with chicks on top of her and running behind her but im probably seeing things but anyway could I sneakily shove one of the chicks under in the night. that would mean that each hen only has one chick (because there's two chicks in total) and I don't know if the chicks will feel lonely without each other because they seem a little attached but I don't know. I want to give her some chicks because I feel so bad for her: she's been sitting on eggs the longest and she's the one out of two who suffered the most, her bone on her stomach is SO SHARP even though she eats and stuff. The first broody wasn't as skinny after she was done because her nest was in the conservatory so she was always just THERE so I would frequently go to her and give her strawberries (because it was hot) and food. the other one was in the garden so she wasn't FAR away but I saw her less and there was food in the coop but she rarely got off the nest but I made sure she ate after waking up and before sleeping anyway.
half my post is waffle but what im trying to ask is if it would be okay for me to get one of my baby chicks from my first hen and give it to my second one, but it will be a lone chick. And one is stronger and the other is visibly weaker so would it be better to give the stronger one to her or does it make no difference?
thanks for any advice!
also my first hen sometimes gets a little panicked if she doesn't see one of her chicks in her sight at all times.

I think that seperating the chicks would be a bad idea. Mom 2 may not accept the chick. The chick may not accept mom 2 as it is already imprinted on mom one. You might have trouble with mom 1 taking it back If it is not working.
If mom one can get to it she may try to get it back. If each chick had a different mom they will end up alone when the moms decide to stop brooding. If one of the eggs has veins it could still hatch.

It is too late to change moms for the chicks after they hatch. You can continue waiting until the good egg hatches. If you know both eggs are bad, throw them away and she will lay again another day. It doesnt hurt for her to sit another week or even longer.

I have hens and ducks that are permanent broodies, and i just let then sit entire months until they start laying again.

I think that seperating the chicks would be a bad idea. Mom 2 may not accept the chick. The chick may not accept mom 2 as it is already imprinted on mom one. You might have trouble with mom 1 taking it back If it is not working.
If mom one can get to it she may try to get it back. If each chick had a different mom they will end up alone when the moms decide to stop brooding. If one of the eggs has veins it could still hatch.
right, thank you!
I was thinking the same thing, but when the current two hatched before their veins were pulsing and moving around like crazy. this ones vein is not moving, ill just see for a few more days.

It is too late to change moms for the chicks after they hatch. You can continue waiting until the good egg hatches. If you know both eggs are bad, throw them away and she will lay again another day. It doesnt hurt for her to sit another week or even longer.

I have hens and ducks that are permanent broodies, and i just let then sit entire months until they start laying again.
so it would not harm her at all? especially because she's all skin and bones now.
would she feel depressed or anything if she doesn't get chicks?

Back
Top Bottom